Very Small 9 Month Old

tsxkid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Folks,

Does anyone know where one can buy "Transfer Factor" in Canada?

My Holly is 9 months old and is not thriving. While she is fine on a day to day basis (with a good appetite), she has not gained much weight since I adopted her 6 months ago.

As of todays Vet visit, she is: 1.2kg. Back in November, she was 1.3Kg.

She has been tested for Leukaemia, and other problems (can't recall them at the moment). Each test has come back Negative.

At the vets today, the possibility of FIP was discussed. To my knowledge, she hasn't shown any symptoms of that.

Due to her weight, we're unable to draw more blood unless she is sedated. This is risky.

She is active, playful, happy, loving, attentive... Poops fine (no diarrhea), Urinates fine, and as mentioned, eats very well!

We are at a loss.

At this point, it wouldn't hurt to try Transfer Factor....

Look forward to hearing from you!

Thank You

anjya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Just a thought.. maybe she is naturally small? I have an almost 2 year old that is just around 2kg. and a friend of mine has a 5 year old that is not over 1.5kg. Absolutly tiny.. but fierce! Both of them are females.

Anjya

*the black one is my tiny girl.. in this pic they are about 6 months. Her sister is a BIG girl now at over 4 kg last we checked!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you still feeding her kitten food - if not, I would keep her on the kitten food. Unless a cat is getting to be overweight, I believe they should be on kitten food until they are one year old.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does she seem unhealthy in any way, other than being small? Some cats are just naturally tiny. Is she very thin, or at a good weight for her size?

Have you had blood work done to check her kidney and liver function? I've heard of animals that don't grow as large as they should because of a problem with those organs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tsxkid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mzjazz2U: Thank you for the info. I first heard of TF while reading Jake's Story. How is he now. Still on TF?

Anjya / Momto3cats: If she is a small cat, that's fine. In-fact she looks VERY cute. However, there are some signs of concern. For example: she feels somewhat thin. It's easy to feel her rib cage (not much padding). Another thing is the way she walks. Her hind legs criss-cross each other (unlike anything I've seen before). This makes for a pronounced left/right hip motion. It's as if her legs are too weak to support her (like trying to balance a small (out of control) balloon while her hind legs are walking with it). In contrast to this, she has a great appetite (thyroid issues have been ruled out). Kidney and liver were the first things to be checked and ruled out.

Yosemite: Yes she is still on kitty food (dry/wet). I'll keep it going until she turns 1. The vet seems to think a small amount of adult food may offset some of the weight issues. I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TSXKid

Anjya / Momto3cats: If she is a small cat, that's fine. In-fact she looks VERY cute. However, there are some signs of concern. For example: she feels somewhat thin. It's easy to feel her rib cage (not much padding). Another thing is the way she walks. Her hind legs criss-cross each other (unlike anything I've seen before). This makes for a pronounced left/right hip motion. It's as if her legs are too weak to support her (like trying to balance a small (out of control) balloon while her hind legs are walking with it). In contrast to this, she has a great appetite (thyroid issues have been ruled out). Kidney and liver were the first things to be checked and ruled out.
My sister has a teeny inbred boy. He's 6 yrs old and weighs only 2-3kg. He walks funny, his legs swing out side to side. His spine is sort of lumpy too.

I hope you find an answer to your problems

tsxkid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Missymotus: I'm encouraged to read there are small cats out there who are doing well. Perhaps Holly's odds are better than they seem.

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just had our Tika spayed at 6 months old. The vet could not understand why she stll had baby teeth. She questioned her age. She weighed 4 pounds. She's a ball of fire though. Hope your kitty does well.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with some of the others, she could just be small... especially since you notice no other symptoms and are in contact with a vet about the issue.

I have two small cats... Sneakers is 4.5 lbs (about 2kg I think) at three years and Sofia, her daughter, is 5 lbs at 7-8 months. Sneakers stopped growing about that age. They're both doing fine, and I've never seen their size as an issue. Sneakers has a tendency to be thin, so I make sure she eats, but that's all.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bindi was a small one too. He still is. Feed really fatty foods like canned tuna or bacon fat along with your reular deihttp://www.thecatsite.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gift, not too much of those and only in tiny amounts(for the becon) as long as theres no sult or sesonings. Your cat sounds like he/she was the runt of the litter. she/he may never become normal sized thats okay as long as the animal isnt too thin..

tsxkid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely, Holly was the runt of the litter. She was found along with 4 siblings in a barn soon after they were born.

But I have to say, she has one heck of a personality. She'd even make "Dog" lovers melt!

If I can get my hands on Transfer Factor, I will give it a try. I don't think it'll do any harm.

I've emailed 4Life Research however, they have not responded. Our Canadian chapter does not list ANY Transfer Pet Products.

Thanks everyone for all the input. From time to time, I'll post updates. It should be an interesting ride.

P.S. if I can figure out how to upload pics, I'll post a few!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they test her for kidney problems? It's something to look at but she may just be a forever runt!
At least I hope that's what it is. Sounds like you and your vet are keeping up on it.

tsxkid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, kidney problems were ruled out.

If things get worse, I've decided to get a second opinion. For now, I'm just going to sit tight and see how she progresses.

TSXKid

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TSXKid

Yes, kidney problems were ruled out.

If things get worse, I've decided to get a second opinion. For now, I'm just going to sit tight and see how she progresses.

TSXKid
Glad to hear kidney problems were ruled out. Keep us updated! have you posted pictures of her?