Cat tail worries

zho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm posting this because I'm worried about my cat, but not sure if I should be. A week ago I went I noticed that my cat wouldn't raise her tail anymore. It seemed to have happened overnight because she was fine the day before. She was also behaving somewhat shyly around me, which was odd because she usually isn't at all. Now a week later she's acting normally,but her tail still won't raise all the way, however she purrs and lets me pet her and eats and poops normally.

When I pet her or treat her, she used to raise her tail fully upright, but now it just kinda goes up but hangs halfway, like you can see in this picture (sorry for the blurryness. but I couldn't get her to stand around long enough for my camera to focus). If I feel her tail and around her spine she doesn't act any differently than usual. and nothing feels out of the ordinary there either. She's 12 years old now so I'm worried something might be wrong.

I really hope she's ok, I'd take her to the vet, but I'm a student and I don't have any money to spare right now. And even a check-up costs too much. If it's really necessary I could squeeze out the money via a loan but I'd rather not if she'll be fine on her own...

I hope anyone can help me, either so I can get her to a vet before it's too late or to reassure me she'll be fine.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to our site
I'm not too sure what the problem could be with your kitties tail. If she allows you to touch it and doesn't seem to be in any pain then I'm sure

I'm sure there will be more people along soon that might be able to help out.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This seems to be a fairly common issue with older cats. Spot's tail did that at times. He was hyperthyroid and had a heart condition, but I don't think either had a connection to his tail. My guess is that it is related to arthritis as they age. You can try giving your kitty some glucosamine supplement. They make it in cat form (usually a powder that can be sprinkled on their food), but there isn't much difference between that and human pills.

However, it is important for older cats to have regular vet visits. They are prone to a variety of diseases that are not simply old age, such as hyperthyroidism, kidney failure, and diabetes. I would recommend finding a way to gather some money to have her seen and to run blood work. These problems are treatable, especially when they are caught early. It is always much less expensive to treat problems early rather than after they have progressed. There is an article here that offers suggestions on how to raise money for vet bills: http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/76/...erinarian.html

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zho

Hello everyone,

I'm posting this because I'm worried about my cat, but not sure if I should be. A week ago I went I noticed that my cat wouldn't raise her tail anymore. It seemed to have happened overnight because she was fine the day before. She was also behaving somewhat shyly around me, which was odd because she usually isn't at all. Now a week later she's acting normally,but her tail still won't raise all the way, however she purrs and lets me pet her and eats and poops normally.

When I pet her or treat her, she used to raise her tail fully upright, but now it just kinda goes up but hangs halfway, like you can see in this picture (sorry for the blurryness. but I couldn't get her to stand around long enough for my camera to focus). If I feel her tail and around her spine she doesn't act any differently than usual. and nothing feels out of the ordinary there either. She's 12 years old now so I'm worried something might be wrong.

I really hope she's ok, I'd take her to the vet, but I'm a student and I don't have any money to spare right now. And even a check-up costs too much. If it's really necessary I could squeeze out the money via a loan but I'd rather not if she'll be fine on her own...

I hope anyone can help me, either so I can get her to a vet before it's too late or to reassure me she'll be fine.
What a beautiful tortie... she looks like mine, who is also 12.

We call it PJ's droopy tail. She's absolutely fine, and in fact, loves having her tail base rubbed more than anything! We adopted her when she was around 8.5, and her tail has always looked like that. It does still stand straight up, but especially when she's moving, she'll droop like your cat.

Because your cat is 12, if you haven't done it in the past year, I'd definitely get a senior blood panel run on her just for a baseline while she's healthy. PJ has HyperT, and while financially it was a strain at the time, getting her all checked out was well worth it, since she's still here! I understand the student aspect (I finished grad school in August) - but sometimes vets are willing to work out payment plans with you during tough times.

Good luck - she's a gorgeous cat!