or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What do you put in your spaghetti sauce???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you put in your spaghetti sauce???

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
My best friend Renae and I were talking yesterday about spaghetti. We were saying how everyone puts something a little different in their sauce. My favorite sauce ever is my best friends mom's sauce! It's AMAZING!!!!! So i was wondering....what do you put in yours? I am constantly changing recipes and switching things up Tonight I made spaghetti sauce (so i don't have to cook tomorrow on my day off) I put Kraft's Zesty Italian spaghetti dinner in there *left their noodles out- i like the really thin spaghetti and i cook mine al dente* I put 1.5lbs of 90% lean ground beef (i try to get the leanest i can find) cooked that up until it was brown....then i added garlic powder, sage, italian seasoning, season all, oregano, the kraft zesty italian packet, 1 six ounce can of organic tomato paste *it was on sale for 50 cents!* 12 oz of water to it salt and pepper. After i fixed it all up i added parmesan too / *normally i add onion and garlic to mine as well....but i didn't have any tonight. sometimes i'll add cheese to mine too but i didn't tonight. I will also cut up one little Roma tomato sometimes and add small pieces of that too my sauce as well if i have any(i'm not a huge fan of mushrooms or peppers in my sauce) It was sooooo deliscious and meaty! I can't wait for dinner tomorrow / What do you put in your sauce??? (when i'm lazy- i love Ragu's Mamma's Meat Sauce or Classico's Traditional Sweet Basil)
post #2 of 29
i used to make all this stuff from scratch but then when i started working, I do a lot of cheating but I use Newman's own in the ground beef after I browned it and just add pepper and it turns out great.

From scratch, i put bay leaves, oregano, herbs de provence if i have any, thyme, sage, pepper, salt.

That's all i remember from the top of my head but i used to make it with real tomatoes..fun fun..
post #3 of 29
I add onions, garlic, red wine, mushrooms, yellow and orange sweet peppers, bay leaves, ground beef, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and italian seasoning.
post #4 of 29
I cheat and use the sauce from the bottle. But I usually put mushrooms, onions, garlic, either hamburger or sausage, and sometimes green olives or green peppers. I love angel hair pasta. Its so much better that big fat spaghetti noodles.
post #5 of 29
garlic, onion powder, oregeno, bay leaves, thyme, little chili powder, salt, pepper, ground beef, and spicey tobasco sausage. along with the usual, paste, and water, yum
post #6 of 29
I'm sitting here eating leftover spaghetti for lunch. For the sauce, I used a quart of tomato juice (from our garden this summer), tomato paste, a tablespoon of olive oil, a large onion, garlic, oregano, basil, pepper, paprika, and a dash of salt. I made up little meatballs, too, using lean ground beef, an egg, bread crumbs, an onion, and Italian seasoning. I brown them in the frying pan, and then let them simmer in the sauce.
That's my "basic" recipe. I often add things like mushrooms, peppers, Italian sausage or pepperoni, though.
post #7 of 29
It depends on what type of sauce I'm making.

Here is one of my spaghetti sauce recipes:


SPAGHETTI/LASAGNA SAUCE

1 Lbs. lean ground beef
1 clove garlic - minced
1 onion - chopped fine
1/2 green bell pepper - chopped fine
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes - with juice
6 oz. tomato paste
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 beef bouillon cube
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt

-Crumble and brown ground beef. Drain off all fat.
-Turn beef into colander, and rinse with cold water.
-Wipe out frying pan.
-Pat meat dry with paper towel; return to pan.
-Add garlic, onion, pepper, and mushrooms and cook over medium-low heat, stirring as necessary until veggies are soft.
-Add tomatoes and tomato paste.
-Add seasonings and simmer until hot throughout.

NOTES : Adjust seasonings to taste and serve over pasta with low fat Parmesan sprinkled over. Low Fat!

For Lasagna, double the batch.

If I want meatless sauce I omit the meat and add egg plant or tofu or just leave it out altogether.
post #8 of 29
Start off by sautéing some garlic in some olive oil in a wide skillet. Once the garlic becomes fragrant put in a can of crushed tomatoes and then one tablespoon of tomato paste. Then put in dried: garlic, onion, salt, pepper, basil, red wine, and a dash of hot sauce. That's an amazing base you can add meat and veggies to taste.
post #9 of 29
When making tomato sauce, I usually fry up some garlic and onion, maybe some vegetables like mushrooms or peppers if I have them, maybe some herbs, salt and pepper, then throw in a large can of whole tomatoes. Juice and all. I mash the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon in the pan and let that simmer for about 15 min.
Sometimes I throw in a can of tuna, some black olives and capers for Puttanesca sauce.
post #10 of 29
spaghetti!!!!
post #11 of 29
I dont eat meat so I use a vegan type of spaghetti sauce. Usually some with onions or green peppers and I put spicy "sausage" (soyrizo) in the sauce. This gives the spaghetti a bit of a kick.
post #12 of 29
Mine changes every time I make it but my base sauce is pretty much the same as lookingglass, minus the hot sauce, I pretty much always have mushrooms and peppers in mine too
post #13 of 29
I think I'm the only person that does this, but I put pineapple, itallian sausage, onions and bell peppers in my spaghetti sauce. Add a little ground red pepper for some ka-pow. First got the idea from pizza with pineapple and itallian sausage (probably another thing that I only do).
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily_325 View Post
I add onions, garlic, red wine, mushrooms, yellow and orange sweet peppers, bay leaves, ground beef, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and italian seasoning.
That is almost what I put in except I don't put in red wine perhpas I should start. Also don't add additional salt. Use to but can't really tell much difference skiping it. Green pepper someimes instead of your yellow and orange.

Okay perhpas we aren't as similar as first thougth. I also add some cyanne(sp may be a tad off but I think you know what I mean.)
post #15 of 29
I make it very simply. I usually make my Sicilian gram's recipe for her marinara sauce - tomato paste, bit of diced onion sauteed in olive oil (this first, then add the paste), certain amount of water and a large can of whole tomatos (Italian plum if I can find a brand of these). Add 2-3 fresh basil leaves and cook down. Just divine.

If in a hurry, I will saute a bit of tomato paste, add chunky fresh or canned tomatoes, fresh basil and red wine and cook for about 30 minutes...this is quite good too!
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
It depends on what type of sauce I'm making.

Here is one of my spaghetti sauce recipes:


SPAGHETTI/LASAGNA SAUCE

1 Lbs. lean ground beef
1 clove garlic - minced
1 onion - chopped fine
1/2 green bell pepper - chopped fine
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes - with juice
6 oz. tomato paste
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 beef bouillon cube
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt

-Crumble and brown ground beef. Drain off all fat.
-Turn beef into colander, and rinse with cold water.
-Wipe out frying pan.
-Pat meat dry with paper towel; return to pan.
-Add garlic, onion, pepper, and mushrooms and cook over medium-low heat, stirring as necessary until veggies are soft.
-Add tomatoes and tomato paste.
-Add seasonings and simmer until hot throughout.

NOTES : Adjust seasonings to taste and serve over pasta with low fat Parmesan sprinkled over. Low Fat!

For Lasagna, double the batch.

If I want meatless sauce I omit the meat and add egg plant or tofu or just leave it out altogether.

That sounds similar to mine
post #17 of 29
I use browned and chopped mild Italian sausage (turkey sausage)
Add 1 or 2 cans crushed tomatoes
Abt. 1/4 - 1/2 cup red wine (depends on how many cans of tomatoes!)
1-2 sm cans sliced mushrooms (optional)
Garlic
Italian seasoning (or crushed bay leaf, oregano, basil)

It's yummy! I really think the sausage makes all the difference. Much better than burger meat.
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Everyone's recipes sound sooooo deliscious!! I am eating my spaghetti now and it's sooo yummy! I will have to try some different ingredients everyone recommended the next time i make it!
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix View Post
I make it very simply. I usually make my Sicilian gram's recipe for her marinara sauce - tomato paste, bit of diced onion sauteed in olive oil (this first, then add the paste), certain amount of water and a large can of whole tomatos (Italian plum if I can find a brand of these). Add 2-3 fresh basil leaves and cook down. Just divine.

If in a hurry, I will saute a bit of tomato paste, add chunky fresh or canned tomatoes, fresh basil and red wine and cook for about 30 minutes...this is quite good too!

This is what i do, except i dont usually put tomato paste or water.

I will get a box of fresh tomatoes, boil them for a minute and put it in this tomato grinder thing (have no idea what its called but every italian household has it!) and there you go, you have a fresh home made Tomato sauce!
post #20 of 29
I make all of mine "from scratch" at tomato harvest time in Aug/Sept.
I think I use the same thing that Fran has but then I will simmer and add onions, garlic, basil, Zuchini, peppers, salt, pepper, olive oil, red wine, oregano, some parm cheese and a italian sausage/ground beef mix. I ladle in jars and freeze.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan View Post
This is what i do, except i dont usually put tomato paste or water.

I will get a box of fresh tomatoes, boil them for a minute and put it in this tomato grinder thing (have no idea what its called but every italian household has it!) and there you go, you have a fresh home made Tomato sauce!
A juicer? That's what I use, because we always have so many tomatoes thanks to the greenhouse. If I'm using fresh tomatoes, I put them in boiling water for about a minute, and just "slip" the skin off (particularly effective with Roma tomatoes, which are virtually seedless) and dump them in a pot, but most of them get "juiced" and "canned" (actually jarred), so that we have a supply for the winter months.
post #22 of 29
Trouts mom,
I'm confused about the bullion cube. Is that one of the seasonings? I assume you crumble it.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan View Post
This is what i do, except i dont usually put tomato paste or water.

I will get a box of fresh tomatoes, boil them for a minute and put it in this tomato grinder thing (have no idea what its called but every italian household has it!) and there you go, you have a fresh home made Tomato sauce!
Yes, I know what you mean...my gram and aunt had one, I have one too. I call it a food mill?? It hand cranks has these large blades that take out the seeds and take the skins off
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix View Post
Yes, I know what you mean...my gram and aunt had one, I have one too. I call it a food mill?? It hand cranks has these large blades that take out the seeds and take the skins off
Isn't that a "juicer"? Mine is electric, but isn't at all like my food processor.
post #25 of 29
Don't know why I didn't think of this when we were doing Cattitude II...

1/4 c olive oil (or any good quality oil)
2-1/2 to 3 c finely chopped vegetables - a roughly equal combination of onion, green or red pepper, celery, carrot - let what's on hand be your guide
2 cloves garlic, pressed (optional)

28 oz can whole Italian style tomatoes, broken into large chunks
6 oz can tomato paste
salt, pepper and cayenne, to taste

For serving:
crushed chili peppers
parmesan or romano cheese

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Saute vegetables and garlic 10 minutes or so over medium heat, until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, salt and freshly ground pepper, and cayenne to taste. Mix well, simmer over low heat uncovered for about an hour - until thickened.

Serve over your choice of pasta (we prefer spaghettini). Garnish with crushed chili peppers to taste and sprinkle with cheese. Makes 4-6 servings.

Despite the fact that I love my meat, I have never felt a need to add meat to this. One day, maybe...but then why mess with a good thing?
post #26 of 29
This is a great thread!!

DH and I are making spaghetti as I type this

For the sauce I use lean ground turkey, onions, peppers (yellow is my fav) BBQ sauce (hickory), tabasco sauce, broccoli, mushrooms and a can of Ragu sauce....it is delish!!
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Isn't that a "juicer"? Mine is electric, but isn't at all like my food processor.
Not to me...to me, an old fashioned juicer is one where you put the cut half of the orange down and twist it, or an electric that does it for you.

Let me see if I can find a photo image to link to!

Here is a link to a photo and description (mine is an older version):
http://www.kitchenkapers.com/4603.html
post #28 of 29
I have never made my own sauce I just get the stuff in a jar My fave is Prego mushroom, maybe one day I will have to try to make homemade
post #29 of 29
My "Irish" spagehtti sauce (so-called because it's derived from my Dad's)

1 lb ground beef
1 lb hot sausage out of the casing
2 large cans plum tomatoes
2 cans tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
red wine (usually Merlot)
dried basil, oregano, sage and hot pepper to taste

I brown the meats, and add everything together and simmer for two hours.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What do you put in your spaghetti sauce???