Cat Show Cages

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whats the best show cage out there? Wheres the best place to get them? What about glass 'cages'? Are they any better? Where would I find those?

Thanks!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiffany,

I use these:

ShowCage

The model s600 is the one I use. It's great. Plenty of room for the cats. Comes with a shelf for lounging and I include a hamock as well.

The company is located in California. Christal is the owner and she is very accomodating. They'll even custom make anything you want.

I used to use Sturdi-Products show cages, which are nice, but not well suited to large male bengals who can get over-zealous about playing inside the cage. I have had them tip over in the past.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The clubs provide cages at the show. If you want to bring your own, you have to let the show committee know (not sure if they charge you extra). I've seen the collapsable ones with a zipper and the more solid with plexiglass.

But IMO if you are not gonna be very active in showing (more then once or twice a year), then it makes no sense to invest in a portable show cage. I've always used the club's cages - and I showed a lot

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Nial!

I didn't know that they provided cages, GK. Is this just for ACFA or for all the registries? I probably will only be showing a few times a year too.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just my opinion......

but I would never use the clubs cages. I don't want my cats in cages that have contained who knows how many other cats with possible health issues.

At least the judging cages have three solid sides and they are cleaned after each cat leaves the cage.

The regular benching cages that the clubs provide are never cleaned. I'm just not willing to risk my cats with that.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All associations provide cages. As far as cleaning Kai, I've NEVER had a sick cat from a show. And I bring a roll of paper towels with a little alcohol in a bottle (the disinfectant kind
) and wipe down the cages before I set them up.

I've also used some soap and water from the bathrooms to clean them.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

All associations provide cages. As far as cleaning Kai, I've NEVER had a sick cat from a show. And I bring a roll of paper towels with a little alcohol in a bottle (the disinfectant kind
) and wipe down the cages before I set them up.

I've also used some soap and water from the bathrooms to clean them.
Count yourself lucky.....is all I can say. I know quite a few people who can provide the opposite view, including myself.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit of additional information.

Clubs don't charge extra if you use your own cages. Some clubs even go as far as to provide a entry fee discount if you provide your own cages.
Providing cages is an expense for the club, as most of them use a cage service provider, and that person gets paid for supplying the cages setting them up prior to the show and then taking them all back down again.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Sturdiproducts and to avoid the tipping over, I also bought the clips that attach to the table!

Nial, your cages are nice but they look heavy...are they?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I use the Sturdiproducts and to avoid the tipping over, I also bought the clips that attach to the table!

Nial, your cages are nice but they look heavy...are they?
They are fairly light and easy to handle..........but....they are heavier than the sturdi-products cages. They also take up more room in the trunk of the car.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How much I show really depends on how Duke and Ares handle the show ring and how well they perform. I'm thinking maybe I'll get a cage myself if I do well at the first show in January. I guess I'll take a few rolls of paper towel and some diluted alcohol (are you sure it has to be the 'cleaning' kind GK?)

Whats the standard size?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somewhere on the show flyer it lists the size of the cages. Usually if you take 3-4 large towels (same color) for the 3 sides and a towel for top/bottom of the cage its fine.

If you are showing one cat its a smaller cage. Each adult cat gets "1/2" a cage. So 2 cats would get a full cage. If your cats will not get along in one long cage (open), and you have to put them in their 1/2 cage, you will need 2 extra towels. Personally, I'd get about 6-8 towels - you can leave the extra ones in the car if you want. But better to have a few extra - you might need them for litter/food/water accidents!

Be sure to bring cat beds with you or buy them at the show. I had to buy Ling's as we threw away Spooky's show bed after he died. Ling used the bed at the show, but at home, she refuses to sleep in it. Maybe baby Charlie will claim it

And yes it has to be the cleaning kind (that you would use on cuts, etc.) - NOT the kind you pour in a glass and drink!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I'll be taking Ares to this first show. He'll have barely been home a month. I'll have to see what his breeder thinks about it a week before the show.

I have two "Millie" beds from siamese rescue that Duke NEVER uses. In fact, one is always in the garage for any strays that wander along. He actually LIKES being in his carrier though, so I don't think he'll have a problem with being in the cage. Its one of those nylon collapseable ones and as soon as I bring it out, I have to hold him back just so I can set it up!

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Show cages have more uses then just the show. If you ever need to restrict a cat that has had surgery or is ill a show cage makes a good temporary sick room. I wish I had one when my cat had surgery. Restricting her to one room did not keep her from running around and jumping up and down.