TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › TiVo: The Greatest Invention since Sliced Bread. Or the iPod.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TiVo: The Greatest Invention since Sliced Bread. Or the iPod.

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
So, after 48 hours of wrath, my TiVo is up and running!

I inherited a TiVo Box from my parents after they got a new (and better) DVR from their cable company. I figured since the cable co is giving me free basic cable (long story but it involves a biiiiiggggg boo-boo on their part and I still have to pay for the activated cable line for broadband) I can afford the TiVo subscription!

It is wonnnddderful. I never have to be a slave to my television again! That means, I can practice at a reasonable hour and watch my prime-time shows at bedtime. My neighbors will be so thrilled!

Also, it IS in fact possible to set up the TiVo without a land-based phone line. You just have to have a USB to ethernet converter and a router in place of the phone line.

Anyone else have a TiVo? Any tips or tricks for me?
post #2 of 24
I would love TiVo, but it's a luxuary i can't afford or justify at the moment We don't even have cable lol...so no TiVo for me, but it sure would be nice
post #3 of 24
oh yeah, life will never be the same I love love love my DVR!!! I watch a lot of TV and some of my shows are on at the same time- now I never miss one! the only problem I have is that I have to scheduale my recordings at least a week in advance because if I don't I will forget, and the only thing I hate is that I can only record one and watch one, it would be really nice to record 2 and watch one, but your's might be different
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
I would love TiVo, but it's a luxuary i can't afford or justify at the moment We don't even have cable lol...so no TiVo for me, but it sure would be nice
Just have the cable company send you to collection after having your name on 2 accounts, only one of which is yours, and then not fixing it for 6 months. Then you'll have cable for free!
post #5 of 24
Yes We love Tivo I don't know how we ever lived without it before!!
post #6 of 24
I LOVE my TiVo! No hints that I can think of. You will LOVE it!
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
oh yeah, life will never be the same I love love love my DVR!!! I watch a lot of TV and some of my shows are on at the same time- now I never miss one! the only problem I have is that I have to scheduale my recordings at least a week in advance because if I don't I will forget, and the only thing I hate is that I can only record one and watch one, it would be really nice to record 2 and watch one, but your's might be different
Mine is the olden TiVo, where you can only record what you're watching, and only one show at once.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but I do have a couple favorite shows...namely, Grey's Anatomy and House. THe thing is, is that rehearsals keep me away from the TV between 6-9PM most nights, so I never get to see them. Until now!
post #8 of 24
Ha! We don't get cable at my house. Its to far off the road. And i haven't gotten around to getting sattelite yet. Maybe for Christmas.
post #9 of 24
I love my Tivo! I have my searches set up for all sorts of oddball stuff - movies that pop up once and never come up again. I recently had a movie on the list for 2-1/2 years (when I got my unit) that automatically recorded. I have Tivo instead of the cable DVR because I bought the model with a DVD burner.
post #10 of 24
I have a pvr (personal video recorder...same as a dvr but here its called a pvr). I don't know what I would do without it. I love it. I can record 2 shows and watch a third pre-recorded show at the same time. I don't know what TiVo costs but my pvr was $600. Thankfully I won it in a contest and didn't have to pay anything and I even got 6 months free of satellite with it. This is what I have http://www.bell.ca/shopping/62129.details I think its cool how you can hook it up to 2 tv's at once.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant View Post
So, after 48 hours of wrath, my TiVo is up and running!

I inherited a TiVo Box from my parents after they got a new (and better) DVR from their cable company. I figured since the cable co is giving me free basic cable (long story but it involves a biiiiiggggg boo-boo on their part and I still have to pay for the activated cable line for broadband) I can afford the TiVo subscription!

It is wonnnddderful. I never have to be a slave to my television again! That means, I can practice at a reasonable hour and watch my prime-time shows at bedtime. My neighbors will be so thrilled!

Also, it IS in fact possible to set up the TiVo without a land-based phone line. You just have to have a USB to ethernet converter and a router in place of the phone line.

Anyone else have a TiVo? Any tips or tricks for me?
We have 4 (yes 4) TIVO's!! Love them obviously!! DH is a TV freak! We actually TIVO movies then put them on the laptop and burn them to DVD for later a lot! One tip for you would be to learn your season passes. You'll want to season pass House and Greys Anatomy so that you don't forget to set it to tape. Also when you start getting more season passes in your list, make sure you have the priority set how you want it. Incase two things play at the same time you get the one you want more! Like if SHOW A is your favorite and is in slot 2 on your season pass and SHOW B is something you like but don't care if you miss it and is in slot 1. They both play at the same time this week because of a world series game and it will tape SHOW B! So just check that! And Enjoy~!!
post #12 of 24
I don't even know how I lived before Tivo! I know, crazy huh? But it's true! We won't even watch a show unless it's tivo'd, we HATE commercials, and must fast forward through them! Also, the shows that come on late (nip/tuck) I can watch the next day! The season pass option is great. You find the show, ask for a season pass, and you never even have to see when it's on, it will record every episode. And then when you look in your playing list it's like Christmas! Woo-Hoo an episode of House!!!

Don't have an ipod though....that is just too much work for me.
post #13 of 24
We don't have one so I don't know what I'm missing
post #14 of 24
Whats a TiVo?
post #15 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl View Post
I don't even know how I lived before Tivo! I know, crazy huh? But it's true! We won't even watch a show unless it's tivo'd, we HATE commercials, and must fast forward through them! Also, the shows that come on late (nip/tuck) I can watch the next day! The season pass option is great. You find the show, ask for a season pass, and you never even have to see when it's on, it will record every episode. And then when you look in your playing list it's like Christmas! Woo-Hoo an episode of House!!!

Don't have an ipod though....that is just too much work for me.
Ohhhhhh iPods are fantastic. I don't know how I lived without one!

I have mine also rigged up to a mic so I can do playback of myself in practice rooms and such. I can also carry around an entire quarter's worth of recordings of the pieces I am studying (well, I have more like 2 years' worth of recordings that I've studied) PLUS my entire photo, music and video libraries.

When I figure out how to get TiVo'd shows onto my iPod...that'll be the day.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggles View Post
Whats a TiVo?
Exactly its this...
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggles View Post
Whats a TiVo?
A digital Video Recorder....it digitally records what's on TV, and can be set up to record things on a schedule, like entire seasons of TV shows. My TV doesn't have to be on for it to be recording, OR I can be recording one thing while watching something previously recorded.

It also allows you to pause and sometimes rewind Live TV. Say I'm watching a show that's in real time and i have to get up and feed the cats or something. I can pause my TV.

You can also fast forward through commercials on your precorded TV shows.

Newer models can also burn TV Shows onto DVDs or sync up with Video iPods.
post #18 of 24
Oh yeah I have an IPOD also ... a pink one!! I love it but if I had to choose Tivo would win!!
post #19 of 24
You have to pay per month to use TiVo? That sounds like sort of a rip off to me. We pay $5 a month for our pvr but thats just the extra receiver fee for the satellite because we have 2 hooked up in the house.
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Yeah, you can prepay for 1-3 years, or you can pay per month...I think it's like $20 a month if you pay monthly, but if you pre-pay it's something like $8 a month for the 3 year, etc.

My dad and I are staying on the same plan because they also offer a multi-unit discount, so it's cheaper for both of us!
post #21 of 24
It's actually $12.95 for the first and $6.95 for each there after per month! But yup you can still pay per year as well!
post #22 of 24
Oh I LOVE my Tivo! It's amazing... My brother bought it for me for my birthday last year, I was REALLY surprised at that gift! It also came with a year of free Tivo service, so for my birthday this year (July) I told him I wanted another year of Tivo service. Now he never has to worry about what gift to get me I guess! I'll just keep asking for Tivo service, heh...

What's even better is that my brother, who lives upstairs in his own "apartment", has hooked up his Tivo to my Tivo so we can transfer programs between the two. The whole thing is hooked up with USB cables. Then, I also have Tivo Desktop on my computer and he has it on his, so we can also transfer stuff to and from either computer/either Tivo. It's great!

The only downsides are that it doesn't come with enough memory (I'm planning to buy more, my brother's Tivo has like 400 hours worth of memory) and I unfortunately have to semi-share it with my parents since the TV it's hooked up to is technically theirs...


Someone mentioned Ipods... I don't like those. I do however LOVE my Sandisk Sansa mp3 player. Costs (much) less than an ipod with more features, and it's about the size of an ipod nano, but thicker so I don't feel like it's going to snap in half at any second... :P
post #23 of 24
I can't afford it...although I know I would LOVE IT
post #24 of 24
We have a DVR and we love it. I had no idea how I lived without it before we got one
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › TiVo: The Greatest Invention since Sliced Bread. Or the iPod.