Allergy shots

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I know a few of our members have gotten allergy shots before and I am curious if anyone had any type of reaction to them? I've been getting them for about 6 weeks now. I had a rather large reaction at some of the injection sites (I get 4 shots) for a few of the weeks. When that happens, they cut the dose in half the following week. Apparently if it continues, they may stop the shots for the things I am getting the reactions to. Has anyone ever had this problem? For the past two weeks we have been icing down my arms afterwards, and it has been working, but I am concerned that it will not be enough as the doses get higher.

Thanks

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just thinking about you getting all of those shots, makes me feel like Im going to faint

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have to get one shot a year(August, or Sept) and I have never had any problems with mine. I woulld be asking the Dr if it continues to bother ya.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually Karen - that's not normal for allergy injections. My mother has worked for an allergist for over 25 years and she said you are not suppose to get any type of reaction. That is why the allergy screen (when you are tested) is done at different levels. They establish what level your allergy appears then they back the dose down to give you your injection so you don't have reaction. Her doctor has a mandatory (strictly enforced!) 20 minute waiting period following injections to make sure you don't have any type of reaction. If you do, you are to report it before you leave and your doseages will be backed down from now on.
So now that your doctor has backed it down. It should stay there (he should not jack it back up) and you should be all set.
Hope that helps a little.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure that Lisa is right, from what I remember. Granted, it's been years since I've had the shots, but I don't remember having much of a reaction to them. I think I remember getting very small welts especially when the doses were upped, but they measured them and kept track after that 20 minute waiting period. I don't recall having major adverse reactions on a regular basis, that's for sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It actually the size of the welts I am talking about. Their rule is if it is the size of a quarter, they can not give you the same dose the following week, they have to cut back. I do have to sit in the waiting room for 20 minutes after, but my welts get larger after I leave there, and they always ask when I go the following week. I had a few that were double the size of a quarter. They are closely monitoring all reactions, and the doctors also monitor it.

I am in the "buildup" phase where they start injecting you with very small doses, and gradually build up to the larger doses. One of the reasons I am concerned is one of the things I am reacting to is cat

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I know a few of our members have gotten allergy shots before and I am curious if anyone had any type of reaction to them? I've been getting them for about 6 weeks now. I had a rather large reaction at some of the injection sites (I get 4 shots) for a few of the weeks. When that happens, they cut the dose in half the following week. Apparently if it continues, they may stop the shots for the things I am getting the reactions to. Has anyone ever had this problem? For the past two weeks we have been icing down my arms afterwards, and it has been working, but I am concerned that it will not be enough as the doses get higher.

Thanks
I used to get shots every week for three years, I was a lot younger so I don't remeber exactly in the begining but later in the treatments I never had any problems! I didn't like getting them, but no problems! Hope you have fewer issues and I hope they help you in the long run!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pffft, I am allergic to cat and I have all mine! Benadryl rocks, Claratin if it gets bad, Flonase if it gets worse.

Hope your testing go better. Remember, you are not actuallyallergic to cat, you are allergic to dried cat saliva.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Karen,
I get allergy shots too and while I don't get a big bump I do get very itchy and use ice or clear caladryl on the spots. I also have to wait 20 minutes in th eoffice, they are very strict about that.

I am not a doctor but from what I understand from my allergist is they dont want to see a "systemic reaction" which they define as wheezing, trouble breathing, a rash all over your body etc. so as long as it's only a bump ( albeit large) I can understand why they keep you going. I am also in the build up phase.

Do you take an antihistamine the days you get your shots? mine advice me to do that and I take too allegra's that morning. (I get two injections at a time) I know its a drag but isn't it totally worth it to have a furbaby and not be in respiratory arrest???

I hope the shots get easier.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, they most definitely don't want to see the systemic reaction, which is the reason for waiting 20 minutes. I take my normal medications when I have the shots, Zyrtec, Singulair, etc. They do not want you to take extra meds that day to mask any reactions that you might have. They are very strict about that, and about if your "welt" is the size of a quarter, they cut the dose in half. I get 4 shots - cat, dust mites, grass and ragweed. Yes, it will be worth it, if I can continue with them. It's good to hear the ice and caladryl have been working for you.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to get allergy shots quite often when I was younger as did my sister. I never had a reaction to them other than a little soreness at the injection site afterwards. I no longer have to get them (thankfully)....but i definitely understand the hassle involved with them. I would discuss a different game plan as far as treating your allergies go if you're having allergic reactions to the medication.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Yes, they most definitely don't want to see the systemic reaction, which is the reason for waiting 20 minutes. I take my normal medications when I have the shots, Zyrtec, Singulair, etc. They do not want you to take extra meds that day to mask any reactions that you might have. They are very strict about that, and about if your "welt" is the size of a quarter, they cut the dose in half. I get 4 shots - cat, dust mites, grass and ragweed. Yes, it will be worth it, if I can continue with them. It's good to hear the ice and caladryl have been working for you.
Wow! You actually get 4 separate injections? I'd
I was tested recently again and found out I am allergic to 29 out of the 30 things they tested me for.
You are talking to the "queen" of allergies here.
Obviously my allergic reaction is at all different levels - some worse than others, but I'm allergic to all trees, dust, pets, molds, etc. You name it - I'm allergic. (Good thing for me mom chose this type of doctor to work for.
) As far as my injections go though - I only get two. Most folks only get one - they combo everything in one injection. Since I"m allergice to basically everthing under the sun - it's too much for one injection. I'm just surprised you get an injection for each thing. Never heard of that before.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The closely watch each and change the dosage levels on each accordingly. Maybe later they mix them? There was one man there and they told him his was being mixed.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get two shots a week THEN i went to college. I tried to go every week but they could only give me shots when the doctor was there - which was never the same time and it was only a couple of hours at a time.

So need less to say - when taking 18 credit hours, time is a bit limited and I stopped getting them.

I always had little welts, but that's about it. I'd like to go back on them, but have been putting it off.