TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Are you getting a flu shot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are you getting a flu shot? - Page 2

post #31 of 49
I've never gotten the flu shot. My Mom usually gets it and has had the flu plenty of times! I've had it once and it was a mild case!

2 of my students have already come down with it though. I sprayed down all the keyboards and things with disinfectant after they left today!
post #32 of 49
I work in health care, and I will be getting my shot at work.
post #33 of 49
I got the flu shot and the 5 year pneumonia vaccine this afternoon.
I am good to go.
post #34 of 49
I get the flu shot every year and got mine this week. My work offers them free to employees and spouses. I guess they think the chances of getting the flu will be less if the person you sleep with gets one also. Or maybe I won't have to stay home to take care of him.
I just carried over 104 hours of sick/vacation time and had to use 90 hours before my anniversary date. I have a pretty good immune system and am rarely ill, but I work in the healthcare field, so I don't take chances.
~Rhonda
post #35 of 49
I don't know yet...If I find myself strolling through a clinic I might...but I am not a sicko..I never get sick.
post #36 of 49
Nope...I have never gotten a flu shot...and since I am pregnant...now is not a good time to start...
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice View Post
Being a brand new school teacher, I have been sick 3 times (with doctor visits and 3 different antiobiotics) since the end of August, I am DEFINTELY getting one!!!!!!
the good new is, that after a couple of years, you'll have caught everything & then you'll stop being sick so much!
post #38 of 49
You bet I am, having gotten pleuritis and pneumonia after the flu once and what I swear was more than a really, really bad bronchitis also after the flu, I never, ever want to go through being that ill again.

Rolling up my sleeve eagerly (and needles - unless I am the one using them - make me queasy!)
post #39 of 49
Yes, I'll get it at my appointment with the doctpr next month. I haven't had the flu for a long time but I don't want to take any chances.
post #40 of 49
No,

We only have the 'flu' vaccine for elderly and young vulnerable people.

Since the 'flu' virus mutates each time it enters a host the vaccine that is given will only protect from the previous mutation that are known,so any new mutations of the 'flu' virus will still infect somebody wether they have the vaccine or not.
post #41 of 49
I am getting a flu shot. People that have had strokes (I had one in Dec 04, 5 days after my 48th birthday) should get the shot since the flu can be very nasty for us.
post #42 of 49
Bit late for me as I've been off work this week with... flu! I do qualify for getting it free though as I have asthma and have just received something from my doctor's inviting me to have one. I think I might still have it as it protects against more than one virus. The years when I've had it I've had fewer colds that winter too as well as no flu.
post #43 of 49
Yes, I get a flu shot every year because I fall into the high risk category (Registered Nurse and I have Asthma). Plus I get a Pneumonia shot now every 2 years because I had pneumonia a couple of years ago that put me in the hospital for 2 weeks with a collapsed lung. I didn't even know I had pneumonia until it was far advanced, because I had no symptoms until a few days before I landed in the hospital.

It's a really good idea to get the flu shot, not only for yourself, but for those you encounter in your life (friends, family and strangers).

I hear so many people say that they have had a flu shot and got the flu from it. That's not true! You are being injected with a dead virus, you can't get infected with the flu from a dead virus. However, a flu shot won't guaranty that you won't get "a flu", but it will guaranty that you don't get the types of flu that the shot is made for, which are quite a few.

So many people who get the flu go about their lives coughing and sneezing and spreading the flu around to others, and some of those who catch it will die from it

A few years ago one of my friends lost their son to the flu. He was an otherwise healthy 19 year old who was rarely sick. Then he got the flu and became a statistic

Unless you are a recluse and have no contact with any other human being, it really is advisable to get a flu shot
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean44 View Post
Yes, I'll get it at my appointment with the doctpr next month. I haven't had the flu for a long time but I don't want to take any chances.
I'm in Canada and usually we have the flu shot available to us in September or October. This year it's not being distributed until November.

I'm a nurse and I think it was 1999 when nearly 1/2 of the hospital staff I work with was out with a flu. We all had flu shots against the Asian variety of the flu, but the flu that we were hit with was from New Zealand and took everyone by surprise (since then I believe they include that type in the vaccine now). I have Asthma and when I get sick with a cold or flu it's excessively nasty for me. It was about 3 months before I was fully recovered. Of course I couldn't stay home for 3 months! So after I stopped being feverish I returned to work and wore a hospital mask and did lots of extra hand washing to prevent spreading it. But on average we all missed nearly 2 weeks of work. People were pulling double and triple shifts, even management were called in to help on the wards, and that's a scary thought because most of the management haven't been bedside nurses for many years, and some have never done bed side nursing!
post #45 of 49
No, they enforced flu shots at work last year and most of us got more sick from the shot than we had ever been from having the flu so while they will offer it this year, I am not getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryferals View Post
Since the 'flu' virus mutates each time it enters a host the vaccine that is given will only protect from the previous mutation that are known,so any new mutations of the 'flu' virus will still infect somebody wether they have the vaccine or not.
Most people I know who had the shot still picked up some kind of flu like bug over the winter because of these mutations.
post #46 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post

I hear so many people say that they have had a flu shot and got the flu from it. That's not true! You are being injected with a dead virus, you can't get infected with the flu from a dead virus. However, a flu shot won't guaranty that you won't get "a flu", but it will guaranty that you don't get the types of flu that the shot is made for, which are quite a few.
The flu shot is indeed a dead virus. You might get flu-like symptoms after the shot since the whole point of the shot is to fool your body into thinking it really has the flu. You could run a fever, or be a little tired and achy, but it's much more mild than the real flu. When you get the shot, your body doesn't know it's not the real thing, so it attacks the dead virus just like the real one. Then, it keeps a little file in your immune system, so that when it sees it again, it knows just how to attack.


Even if you catch a strain that the vaccine doesn't cover, sometimes they have a few similarities, so you'll get a milder case.
post #47 of 49
I have never had the flu shot and haven't been sick. HOWEVER, this is my first winter working in a daycare and I have already had everything you can imagine to the rotavirus and hand-foot-and-mouth(minus the mouth) and just had a viral infection including a fever of 103 DURING my 21st birthday. And since I will be working in a dentist office as well during the flu outbreak, I might just get one this year
post #48 of 49
I'm a teacher, and constantly being exposed to viruses, so I'll get a shot. Last year a friend in PA died of the flu, so that brought home how dangerous it can be.
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
I'm a teacher, and constantly being exposed to viruses, so I'll get a shot. Last year a friend in PA died of the flu, so that brought home how dangerous it can be.
I am sorry to hear about your friend. It came home to me when I got, as I mentioned, pleuritis and pneumonia...I had to sleep sitting up, no cough medicine worked for more than 3+ hours and I threw up mucous almost every time I coughed, I lost over 10 lbs., I ended up on an inhaler for months and didn't feel normal again for months. It was the nastiest experience I've ever had and it all began with the dang flu.

I'm being graphic because I want you all to take getting the flu seriously and get your shots!
Me, opinionated? Nah
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Are you getting a flu shot?