Red gums - Dental prevention

leighton22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat has a bit of redness around his back molars. He is 1 year old. I actually never knew I needed to brush his teeth or anything (was never told by the vet), so I haven’t been doing any dental care :( I just started brushing his teeth and bought ProDen plaque off, but I’m wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. Should I get a professional cleaning done at this point even though my vet didn’t recommend it? I attached a photo of his redness.
IMG_3987.jpeg
Any help would be appreciated!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I definitely think it is too early for a cleaning. Professional cleanings require sedation and stressful time at the vet office. Just make a routine/schedule for brushing his teeth. My boy is getting close to 2 years and his are worse. Teeth are genetic and some never have an issue and others it is like an uphill battle. Just keep at it and do what you can!

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His teeth are not bad at this time. Mine had her first dental cleaning at three and had significant plaque.I started trying to brush har teeth when she was very little. She was having none of that.
So if you can do that , even a little that would be best.
I am considering trying on mine again as her teeth cleanings have been put off for now.

wyndel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat has a bit of redness around his back molars. He is 1 year old. I actually never knew I needed to brush his teeth or anything (was never told by the vet), so I haven’t been doing any dental care :( I just started brushing his teeth and bought ProDen plaque off, but I’m wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. Should I get a professional cleaning done at this point even though my vet didn’t recommend it? I attached a photo of his redness.View attachment 476708 Any help would be appreciated!
Look into gingivitis or even stomatitis in cats