Need advice for taming a feral kitten

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've suddenly found myself fostering three 5-week old kittens. Two are a little skittish; the third is terrified, very hissy, and impossible to catch. They belong to an area rescue organization, and the plan is for me to socialize them before they go to Petsmart for adoption. Right now, they're together in a large crate, in very large room in my house. It's the only room available because of all the other cats my husband and I care for.

Should I let Mugwort (the kitten that needs the most work) stay in the same crate with his siblings? I have a second crate available. Should he stay in the crate all the time? He enjoys running around and playing with his sibs, but the only way to get him back into the crate is to put down a plate of canned food when they're hungry, and wait for him to follow his siblings in to eat.

When is the best time to work with him—and how often? How much time should I spend with him? Should he be allowed playtime with his sibs at this point? Okay to sleep with them at night?

I’m not sure how to proceed, so any advice will be appreciated!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sit with all 3 - maybe in a smaller space like a bathroom? In a larger space they can play with each other and just avoid you. Sit on the ground and entice them to play on/around you. The less timid ones could help the scared one. At first, move slow. They are getting used to you being around, your smell, your movement. Eventually they'll learn you're fun and comforting. Do this as often as time allows.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would not separate these kittens, as noted above the most timid one will learn from the others as they adjust, he will slowly follow suit. They are really very young to have been separated from their mother, so once you get them more comfortable with you, you will need to become mom and teach them cat manners too. Ideally, if you have another cat who is gentle and loves being around other cats, they might be able to help with the cat manner lessons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, K Kris107 and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . I found the Kitten Lady's video on taming feral kittens, but the one in that video seemed to be alone.

These little ones had to be separated from their mama because she was feral and had given birth to them in a trap during a TNR round-up. They were all kept crated in a barn until the kittens were eating well on their own. Mama cat just got spayed & returned. The rescue didn't want the kittens to remain feral and unadoptable. I've been instructed to keeps them by themselves because they've only had one vaccine so far, and I don't want to expose any of my kitties to ringworm if that develops.

So far, I've gotten Mugwort to eat wet food off a spoon that I hold, while he's in a crate by himself. His allowing my hand to get that close to him is progress, I think. And he gives me slow blinks, as long as I'm not too close. Next step will be for me to crawl into the crate and spend some time with him.

Just occurred to me that I could take them all into our small bathroom for play sessions, then back to their crate in the large room, if I can get hold of Mugwort. That's a big if. Can't leave them in the small bathroom because my husband uses it in the night and they'd escape or get stepped on.

--------------------
Mousetail, Mugwort (center), and Moonseed

M_kittens.jpg

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aww, they're adorable! Yes, definitely keep them away from your cats. Even away from crack under door if you have them in a room. "Street" kittens bring in all sorts of stuff and treatment can take a while too. Keep at it - they should end up being great pets to whoever adopts them!

MultiKittyMom08

6 Cats
Kitten
Purraise
They are so sweet! Cats learn from other cats so once they get vaccinated, being social with the others would do wonders. I know when we rescued feral cats from outside, they wanted to hide for a while but after a few days they started to get used to the other cats and became a family. We have 6 cats, 3 are 5 weeks but we have Mom and Dad. Mom and Dad were rescues. Young ones look to mom to mimic her behavior but if Mom is gone, I agree with the advice above that a gentle older cat can help them learn. Good luck with the training. They are adorable.