How old is this kitten? How much should he be eating?

MarealMurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He weighs 760 grams and I’m feeding him every three hours to be safe. I took him to an emergency clinic a few days ago when he was bit by something and he survived but he was 1.8 pounds there. I’m trying to figure how what I’m doing wrong because I feed him until he refuses to eat.
lo9bvZI.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks around 5-6 weeks old, and his weight is not bad at all, should be around 1.5 lbs. What is he eating? Can he eat canned kitten food mixed with kitten formula? He should be bottle feeding some and learning to eat off a plate. As long as he eats until he refuses, that is good. Make sure he is getting kitten food, it is higher in calories and nutrition. He could have worms, most kittens do. Wait until he is healthy after that bite and ask the vet how much wormer to give him. Put it in a lickable treat.
He is adorable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarealMurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He looks around 5-6 weeks old, and his weight is not bad at all, should be around 1.5 lbs. What is he eating? Can he eat canned kitten food mixed with kitten formula? He should be bottle feeding some and learning to eat off a plate. As long as he eats until he refuses, that is good. Make sure he is getting kitten food, it is higher in calories and nutrition. He could have worms, most kittens do. Wait until he is healthy after that bite and ask the vet how much wormer to give him. Put it in a lickable treat.
He is adorable.
Thank you for the help! I'm feeding with a dropper as he refuses to eat from a bottle. The mother cat is a stray I befriended so he also goes out 1-2 times a day to the porch to eat from her and socialize. My vet recommended I mix kitten kibble with the milk formula and offer it to him but he's not very interested in it. Should I be buying wet kitten food for him? He seems pretty healthy as he's up for hours at a time running and smacking things but I'm going to wait another month since he was bitten by a brown recluse allegedly.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would definitely try some wet kitten food to see if he'll eat that since he isn't too interested in the other food. That kibble soaked in formula may still be too hard for him to chew

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarealMurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree, try it. A brown recluse?! My goodness how did he survive, even at the ER!
I plan too in just a bit! I'm not sure myself either. The vet said the red ring was there and he was extremely lethargic and wouldn't get up. Originally they wanted to keep him for a few days (if he survived that long) but they couldn't find a reason to hold him after the first night. We got a call to come get him because he was "Scrapping with the assistants" when they were trying to feed him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would also recommend trying him with pate style wet kitten food mixed into a mush with KMR. See if he will lick it from your finger, then show him the plate eventually. Sounds like he’s doing well overall.