What is this?

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I got home from school and let Dewey out. I was petting him and telling his how much I love him. (As usual) then I noticed that he had a red spot on his fur. So I picked him up and showed my mom. She said that he probably got caught on something and it ripped his hair out. I don't want him to scratch it and have it bleed. I figured I'd wait a couple days and see if it clears up and if not I'll take him to the vet to get it looked at and treated.

I'm hoping he'll be ok. He didn't seem bothered when I touched it. You can't really see it unless you pull his hair back.

Any ideas on what it could be and what I could do to help him?
image.000004.jpg
image.000004.jpg
image.000003 (1).jpg
image.000002 (1).jpg
image.000000 (18).jpg
image.000001 (1).jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since the wound is on his neck does he wear a collar and could it have possibly caught or snagged on something? It appears to be an open wound which concerns me. Can you or your mom contact the vet to see if Dewey requires medical treatment?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since the wound is on his neck does he wear a collar and could it have possibly caught or snagged on something? It appears to be an open wound which concerns me. Can you or your mom contact the vet to see if Dewey requires medical treatment?
Yes he does normally wear a collar. He hasn't been wearing one for like a week though. I'm sure we can contact the vet about it. We are trying to not touch the wound so it doesn't get infected and we are keeping him inside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree about calling the vet and sending them a pic to look at. If/since he goes outside, it could have happened anywhere where he spends time. So, it is a good idea to keep him inside. You might what to look around to see if you can find something that could have caused the wound.

You could ask the vet about using chamomile tea - Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with a soft cloth or cotton balls. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about calling the vet and sending them a pic to look at. If/since he goes outside, it could have happened anywhere where he spends time. So, it is a good idea to keep him inside. You might what to look around to see if you can find something that could have caused the wound.

You could ask the vet about using chamomile tea - Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with a soft cloth or cotton balls. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.
Just curious: it easy to find German Camomile? I love camomile -and have sensed ita healing properties on me- but have never bothered to see whether what I am getting is German or English. Agree with seeing the vet as well.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious: it easy to find German Camomile? I love camomile -and have sensed ita healing properties on me- but have never bothered to see whether what I am getting is German or English. Agree with seeing the vet as well.
Thank you! I am not home at the moment. When I get home I will look around and see if there are any tuffs of hair were he might have snagged it.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 2 update:
I was talking to my dad and letting him know that we could call the vet and see what they say. He said that we could possibly do that but we should probably just let it heal on itself and that he (Dewey) would just clean it up himself. Is there any way I can convince him to at least call the vet? I also don't want Dewey to clean it and have a parasite and it get in his mouth (if that can happen). The wound is also I a spot where he can't reach it to clean it. At least I don't think so.

The wound is looking much better today. The redness has gone down. I will keep you guys updated and thank you so much for helping me!

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since it is looking better, just keep him inside, use the chamomile tea, and take daily pics. The pics will tell you if it is improving or if it gets worse. If it gets worse, perhaps you can show the pics to your dad and that just might change his mind.
Thank you! I have been taking pics

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find the roman easier to find here in stores. I grow both. The roman smells like apples.The german has a light straw scent. Sometimes the ingredient list says which one. German chamomile is said to be good for inflammation.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

Sorry I wasn't home yesterday (I was at my grandma's for mothers day) so here are the updates from yesterday.

It is looking a ton better. The redness has gone down even more and the skin around it is looking a lot healthier. The hair is continuing to grow.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Todays update

There is only one little red spot. The hair is growing back even more and it just a bald spot now