My cat is driving me nuts with his talking and constant demand for food/attention

ginnyj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had cats for 40 years, all tabbies, and I loved them all.  They all lived to the age of 18+.  They were indoor cats. The kitty I have at this time is about 8, was my daughters up until 5 years ago when I brought here to my house to keep my other kitty company after her buddy died.

The problem with this kitty, "Jersey," is that he wines (or is it called talks) for food all the time it seems, starting with the minute I come out of my room in the early morning.  A couple of hours later she asks for more, and this is repeated until she is probably full, for now. He gets wet food, great quality, and throws up if he eats fast or too much so I feed him about 5 times a day.  No dry food but maybe having that out would help?

When my other kitty was alive Jersey was "seen but not heard," certainly didn't do all this wining/talking.  It is very annoying to me!  

I do admit to not playing her with much, but then I never really did.  She and my kitty that died (age 20) did cuddle once or twice a day but other than that they kept to themselves.

I can't give her back to my daughter, she has her hands full with 2 already.

Would one of those plug in relaxant things help?

I can't get another kitty- too late in my life to be tripping over cats.

Thanks for your ideas.

Ginny

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've had cats for 40 years, all tabbies, and I loved them all.  They all lived to the age of 18+.  They were indoor cats. The kitty I have at this time is about 8, was my daughters up until 5 years ago when I brought here to my house to keep my other kitty company after her buddy died.

The problem with this kitty, "Jersey," is that he wines (or is it called talks) for food all the time it seems, starting with the minute I come out of my room in the early morning.  A couple of hours later she asks for more, and this is repeated until she is probably full, for now. He gets wet food, great quality, and throws up if he eats fast or too much so I feed him about 5 times a day.  No dry food but maybe having that out would help?

When my other kitty was alive Jersey was "seen but not heard," certainly didn't do all this wining/talking.  It is very annoying to me!  

I do admit to not playing her with much, but then I never really did.  She and my kitty that died (age 20) did cuddle once or twice a day but other than that they kept to themselves.

I can't give her back to my daughter, she has her hands full with 2 already.

Would one of those plug in relaxant things help?

I can't get another kitty- too late in my life to be tripping over cats.

Thanks for your ideas.

Ginny
I'm a little confused, but it the cat in question a he or a she?  I'm guessing it's a she.

How many cats do you have at this point, just Jersey?

How old is Jersey?

It sound to me like the cat is just looking for some comfort and stimulation.

When was the last time Jersey saw a vet?

Is there a reason why you don't play or spend time with the cat?  Cat's need attention.  While they are self sufficient they do need loving.  It could be she/he misses her friend and is lonely.

I'm sure others will chime in with ideas for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginnyj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry about the he/she.  He is a boy and the only cat I have now.

He is about 8.

Hasn't seen the vet since his buddy died about 5 months ago.  

Since this is the first time I've only had one cat having to play with him wasn't an issue before.  I can see it is now that there is just one.  

I will try and play with him and see if it changes things.  I do feel the best answer is to find a new home for him, I just asked my other daughter but won't hold my breath as she has 2.

Thanks for your ideas.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry about the he/she.  He is a boy and the only cat I have now.

He is about 8.

Hasn't seen the vet since his buddy died about 5 months ago.  

Since this is the first time I've only had one cat having to play with him wasn't an issue before.  I can see it is now that there is just one.  

I will try and play with him and see if it changes things.  I do feel the best answer is to find a new home for him, I just asked my other daughter but won't hold my breath as she has 2.

Thanks for your ideas.
If his name is Jersey are you in the NYC tri state area by chance.  I'm searching for a new love.

Can you post a picture.

If you enjoy having him around, you can get toys he can play with on his own.  But he sounds lonely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginnyj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We live in California.  Thanks for the offer.  Toys will help and me making time for him.  Thanks.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We live in California.  Thanks for the offer.  Toys will help and me making time for him.  Thanks.
I hope I didn't make you feel bad, it sounds like he's missing his buddy.

Also a medium cardboard box is always fun for the cats, you can get a free one from your supermarket.  Put a few windows in it lay it on it's side and you'll be set.

Best of luck with Jersey.

Be well.

Welcome to TCS