Cat not coming home at night

baba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat loves to hang out on my patio and always stays close - doesn't usually leave the patio during the day.

But about 8:00 pm when it's starting to get dark he leaves the patio and doesn't come home all night no matter how much I call him.

He's always right outside the door in the morning but he will not come home at night. Is there any way I can make him stay at home at night? Why has he started this behavior? Thanks.. my feelings have really been hurt about this.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are more active at dawn and dusk. Twilight hunters basically. Combine that with spring & its a big deal to them. At some later point in the evening, they look for a safe, cozy spot to sleep. So as a practical matter, if an indoor/outdoor cat isn't in by a certain point, its likely spending the night outside.

So your feelings shouldn't be hurt. Its just something that indoor/outdoor cats do. If you want the cat inside, bring them insider earlier.

If the cat is an outdoor only cat, you could try making a cozy sleeping area on the patio. There are structures you can by that provide dry warmth and shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. There is a little bed I have for the cats in my attached shed. Sometimes he's in there - this morning he was in the bushes. We're having tons of rain and he got so wet. Why he didn't use the shed I don't know.

I have started keeping him in but I hate it when he starts crying or scratching at the door to go out. He obsessively scratches at the sliding door to go out.

You have made me feel a little better - he is young (will be 2 next month) and I know he just loves to hang out in and out. I want him to enjoy the outdoors but I don't want him out all night. I'll just have to keep him in at night. Funny, he doesn't leave our immediate area in the daytime.

Thanks again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:lol: