Question of the Day, Sunday April 28th

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beans, do you consider them as mostly a main dish or a side dish?

With the exception of lima beans, I consider beans to be mostly a main dish. I cooked a big pot of navy beans today. I usually just have biscuits with them (I don't like cornbread) but this time, I have a few spare potatoes and may fry them for a side. Since I hurt my back, DH has to help me prepare meals, so he is getting cooking lessons he didn't sign up for.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I consider them an ingredient. Like I add pinto beans to taco meat or chili. I’ll add black beans to my morning eggs. Things like that. I don’t make them to eat alone.

My step-grandpa (born and raised in Puerto Rico) used to make them alone to top rice. They were a pinker kidney bean looking with a little sauce. There would also be a sauce with corned beef from a can that all went over rice. Salty but man it was tasty!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think of them as a main dish. I haven't had them in a long time but ham and beans was a dish that was served often growing up.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either. Growing up, sometimes baked beans was the meal, and not just a side, while string beans were always a side dish. Lima beans were both a side and an ingredient in a variation of bean soup instead of the usual Navy beans, and of course pinto beans in chili.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As a vegetarian, I consider beans a main dish. Either on their own, like baked beans. Or any sort of beans and rice combo.

Since I hurt my back, DH has to help me prepare meals, so he is getting cooking lessons he didn't sign up for.
Sorry about your back. Hope it feels better soon. :hugs:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
As a vegetarian, I consider beans a main dish.
Beans are high in protein which is why as a vegetarian I eat them alone and in other dishes. My veggie chili has 4 types of beans in it.
Same here. Definitely a main. The Instant Pot was the best thing I ever got--I have black beans, pintos, or garbanzos cooking all the time.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I love beans of all kinds, with the possible exception of kidney beans. They were always sides growing up, but recently I've really reduced the amount of meat I eat, so beans are becoming more of a main dish for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama thank you. I am hoping for physical therapy.

In the region where I live, it's not uncommon for people to cook a big pot of pinto beans as a main dish. My aunt used to cook all kinds of sides with them. My mom used to serve them as a stand alone dish. The reason I am so well versed in everything beans is because I hated pinto beans when I was young. And it was pretty much an eat what is served environment. I only learned to like pinto beans was because I loved refried beans in Mexican restaurants.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both depending on the dish. They can also be a snack. I love roasting garbanzo beans with some oil and salt until they are nice and crisp.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They're very flexible. I think ingredient most of all.

One of my favorite recipes is a baked bean recipe that uses five types of beans (I changed out two from the original recipe because I don't like lima beans and I thought great northern were a bit redundant). So the five beans are the pork & beans in tomato sauce (which are very Great Northern like in appearance if they aren't actually that variety), red kidney beans, white kidney beans, black beans, and garbanzo beans. There's a few more ingredients in there, but you can either serve this up in side-dish size servings, or in winter it's a really nice main dish if you make a batch of corn bread and increase the size of the servings (about twice what you'd serve as a side dish).

Green beans are a solid side dish, though.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't think to list ingredient as a choice. I make my chili with beans and also put them in homemade soup sometimes.
I started using them that way at a friend's suggestion when DS was running a bit underweight and below his normal growth curve. My friend's son requires more calories because of a health condition he has; so she had awesome ideas for how to sneak more calories and nutrition into his diet. Beans was one of the biggest hits! So much to those litlte "magical fruits." :lol:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you combine beans with corn with the amino acids they each contain you have a complete protein as they are complementary to each other

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beans are an ingredient in my main dishes. How would you serve beans alone as the main dish?! Sounds bland. What do you put on them?