Mama cat with mastitis antibiotics/Need to hand feed kittens with difficulty

Unusual1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

So my cat 2 weeks ago had her first litter (completely unplanned!) and she has been given Synulox 50mg 2times a day for 5 days and metacam 3.5 for 3 days for mastitis, the vet said it is the same sort of thing given to humans while pregnant and breastfeeding but the studies are incomplete in animals.

has anyone else had a feeding cat mama on this medication before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unusual1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama cat has mastitis and I need to hand feed the 2 week old kittens, I have 5 kittens and they don't want to latch on to the bottle because it's not mum. How can I help encourage them to eat?

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Kitten Lady is a great resource:

Also check out her site for more guides on taking care of kittens.

I'm not the most experienced, but from what I've seen kittens will fight the bottle or syringe the first few feedings. You may need to start by dropping small amounts of milk at the edge of their mouth. You'll want to aim the syringe away from the throat, outwards so it doesn't go down their wind pipe. Like you're trying to sneak the milk into their cheeks. If nothing is wrong, usually the kitten will get the idea after a few feedings and be more cooperative. Most will create suction with the syringe and suck it down, but I've also had 3 week old kittens lap it up like a dog while it's at the edge of their mouth.

If you're able to get some, Miracle Nipples do tend to be more easily accepted. Also syringe feeding may be easier at 2 weeks old. I usually look for syringes with a Luer lock design so it feeds more smoothly. You should be able to get syringes at your local pharmacy. If they don't sell them, ask the pharmacy and they might give you a few for free.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Synulox is clavamox and amoxicillin. I have personally never given it to a nursing mother; however, I have used both medications with cats. Whether or not it is safe for kittens, from what I understand, depends on who you ask and what you read. Some vets believe that it is safe for kittens, although there can be side effects like diarrhea which is not to be taken lightly in newborns. Others say to avoid it. Your vet is correct that studies are incomplete in animals.

Metacam's safety in kittens is not established. It carries a black box warning and some are not comfortable using it at all, even in adult cats.

In reading this post, and the other one about hand feeding kittens, which will be combined here for continuity, it seems that you have decided to hand feed the kittens. Is this correct?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would not use the Metacam if it was me, I wouldn’t use Metacam in any cat. I feel strongly that the black box warning is there for a reason.

How is the kitty doing? How are the kittens?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This web site (mentioned above) might also be of some help to you. It discusses all aspects of kitten care, since Mama is a bit indisposed right now, and may not be able to take on the other aspects of kitten care at this time.
Kitten Lady

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When did the mastitis develop? You can use warm, damp compresses to give mom relief while waiting for the antibiotics to take effect. Antibiotics usually take effect by the third day. Compresses and coconut oil applied to the affected mammaries will help. The antibiotic you were prescribed is gram positive and negative and should work to cure the mastitis. The metacam is an NSAID which is designed to lessen her pain for a few days, and although there may be a tiny bit of it in her milk, along with the antibiotic, it is generally such a small amount in her milk that the kittens are not adversely affected.

I suggest that you return the kittens to nursing her as soon as possible, especially as her glands will be full and you’ve stated the kittens are not doing well being syringe fed.

Kittens with a mom are very adverse to the bottle but may take a syringe more easily. Here is Kitten Lady’s video for syringe feeding:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

I understand you’ve just been given conflicting advice. Do what works best for your 2-week-old kittens and get them back on mom asap. They need feeding every 2-3 hours around the clock at this age in order to prosper. That also means through the night, so it’s not easy.

Let us know how it’s going and we’ll help as best we can. Unusual1 Unusual1

Unusual1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When did the mastitis develop? You can use warm, damp compresses to give mom relief while waiting for the antibiotics to take effect. Antibiotics usually take effect by the third day. Compresses and coconut oil applied to the affected mammaries will help. The antibiotic you were prescribed is gram positive and negative and should work to cure the mastitis. The metacam is an NSAID which is designed to lessen her pain for a few days, and although there may be a tiny bit of it in her milk, along with the antibiotic, it is generally such a small amount in her milk that the kittens are not adversely affected.

I suggest that you return the kittens to nursing her as soon as possible, especially as her glands will be full and you’ve stated the kittens are not doing well being syringe fed.

Kittens with a mom are very adverse to the bottle but may take a syringe more easily. Here is Kitten Lady’s video for syringe feeding:

I understand you’ve just been given conflicting advice. Do what works best for your 2-week-old kittens and get them back on mom asap. They need feeding every 2-3 hours around the clock at this age in order to prosper. That also means through the night, so it’s not easy.

It developed Friday evening, it came in very fast, I needed to take her to the emergency vets because mine was closed. My only concern with putting mama back with kittens is if they nurse from the infected nipple. Mama was able to get back in with kittens last night while we were asleep

Unusual1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I would not use the Metacam if it was me, I wouldn’t use Metacam in any cat. I feel strongly that the black box warning is there for a reason.

How is the kitty doing? How are the kittens?
My cat is sleeping a lot at the moment, the vet has said to carry on with the medication, she should start to improve by Monday if not get an appointment in Tuesday.

Kittens are not liking being hand fed but eating between 2 and 5ml

Unusual1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have managed to buy some of the bottles from the video and some syringes, the vet has advised me to not put the kittens back with mum to let her milk dry up and then start weaning them next week when they are 3 weeks old

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t agree with vets who suggest weaning at 3 weeks old. Most kittens are not ready. We’ve had plenty of cases on here where the kittens are off mom for a few days and go back as soon as she’s better and no one is the worse for wear.

Unusual1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to update you all mama is doing much better eating and drinking more now, babies are doing well. I have an appointment with my vet tomorrow to see how mama is doing.

Unusual1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so went to my vet this morning because something in her burst and it was her mammory gland, so the vet has given me a vest for her and something to clean her wound with and to clean her other nipples with salt water, but my question is do you have any ideas on how I can keep her kitten box cool while keeping her kittens warm? I still have to feed her kittens, but she is able to go back with them as long as she has her vest one. She will only happy with the blanket on the box, so I've moved it as much as she will let me, I've closed the curtains and put the fan on.

So any other ideas?

Attachments

Unusual1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she have a fever? If not, I wouldn’t worry about keeping her cool. Also, her body heat will keep the kittens warm.

So since writing this mama decided the box she was in was too small now and has moved to the dog crate downstairs, mama and kittens are a lot happier.

And no she doesn't have a fever but now she has moved downstairs all those questions have been answered

Unusual1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so next question, the kittens want to explore, but mama keeps putting them back in the crate (her new kitten box) any ideas? I think it's to do with not seeing them for a week I know I would be the same