Anyone try Farmina?

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cannot find very much on Farmina canned food as I am trying to find another decent venison cat food besides Ziwi Peak whose cans are often totally impossible to open, and the ones that occasionally do open are really very difficult to pull that ring. I am afraid of cutting myself.
Any suggestions on Farmina??

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Farmina for awhile til my cat snubbed it. As I recall, it wasn’t cheap but the addition of coconut made his coat a little shinier. (i think he liked the ones better without coconut. I don’t recall the lids being stubborn, but haven’t met a pull lid that wasn’t at least a little sharp, and Farmina’s seemed the same to me as any other company’s.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our sweet 16 yr old Norma-Jean is scratching away and starting to turn up her nose to Ziwi Peak limited ingredient venison canned cat food. I called the store and they highly recommended Farmina venison and coconut -- so I bought 4 little cans and added a small 1/2 tsp. to her regular venison in one small corner and she immediately went right to it and lapped it up leaving the rest (which she will likely go back to later).
Has anyone ever heard of Farmina? Money is no object when it comes to my baby.
I now have to pray that she won't be allergic to it even though it is not a limited ingredient food.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thank you, catties.
poivre

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried Farmina for awhile til my cat snubbed it. As I recall, it wasn’t cheap but the addition of coconut made his coat a little shinier. (i think he liked the ones better without coconut. I don’t recall the lids being stubborn, but haven’t met a pull lid that wasn’t at least a little sharp, and Farmina’s seemed the same to me as any other company’s.
Thanks. It's a start.
Poivre

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve added the Farmina Lamb, Pumpkin, and Blueberry canned food to my rotation recently and my boy really likes it so far. My senior girl won’t touch it but she won’t eat anything but pates so that was expected from the get-go. It seems like good high quality food, you can see exactly what’s in it, the chunks of lamb and pumpkin and little blueberries are very obviously there. If WW3 started and I had to eat cat food it’s the first one I’d pick LOL. Price point is a little high and they only sell it in 3oz cans which is annoying but oh well, I’ll keep feeding it at least a few times a week if my boy will keep eating it. A lot of their foods have chicken in them despite that not being part of the name though, so careful with checking the fine print ingredients if you’re dealing with an allergy to that.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fed wet Farmina to my cat for years and she liked it. Then it seemed like they changed something maybe a year ago (besides the can shape) and I started not liking what I saw when I opened the can. It was just different, and not in a way I was comfortable with. So I quit getting it for awhile. Then I started again and she wasn't quite as happy about it as in the past. It seems like it's good food, though, so I will keep trying it.

I should add that I tried everything in my power NOT to have a cat that was a picky eater and she wasn't. At the age of about 8 she is suddenly deciding that she's a cat and therefore is supposed to be picky about food, so she's turning up her nose at a bunch of food she used to eat with no problem. That may be a major part of her sudden dislike for Farmina.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Back to square 1.
So I decided to try the wet farmina venison and pumpkin after she decided she didn't really like the canned venison and coconut after all. She went right after it and I was elated. (too elated!)
I never even stopped to look at the ingredients and was astonished to see the word "chicken" that she has been allergic to for years. Of course, I admit, that even without any chicken dishes she still scratches so I am wondering if it wasn't just the chicken she was allergic to after all. All I know is that she scarfs the canned venison/chicken/pumpkin triad down in 5 minutes.
Fingers crossed...story to be continued.....

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
so she's turning up her nose at a bunch of food she used to eat with no problem.
Not to hijack the thread in any way, but my Buddycat did this as well - turns out he had dental issues going on. After those were dealt with, he came back to liking most everything he did before.

that article deals only with Farmina's dry cat food products.
drat, I'm sorry :(