Ziwi Peak Lamb Canned Food

NMT75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For those of you that feed Ziwi Peak canned lamb, does it typically have a very strong smell? We started feeding our IBD kitty the freeze-dried lamb and she was doing so well on it that we decided to add some canned to her diet. The case of lamb canned food came in today and when I opened one of the cans, it had a really strong, almost sour smell. I was just wondering if this is normal. I went onto chewy and amazon and read the reviews and some do talk about the food having a smell. I worry about giving it to her before I find out if this is normal. Thanks in advance:)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it have green tripe? That’s the smell. Ruminant stomach lining. I imagine it is similar to a poop transplant, only further up the digestive tract. Lots of beneficial bacteria, amino acids, and minerals. And a very pungent smell. Your cat may be very interested by it. But not all cats like red meat. So as much as the tripe might bring her to the plate, the lamb may turn her away. My IBD kitty likes Rawz turkey as well as their rabbit and duck flavors. But turkey is her everyday food. She just doesn’t do as well or eat as much of anything else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NMT75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply:) It does have tripe. I had no idea what that was. She was very excited when I opened the can I just didn't want to feed it to her until I knew that the smell was normal. She likes the freeze-dried lamb so I'm hopeful that she will like the canned. Thanks again!!