Yucca (Cassava) is bad for cats

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was having a custom diet formulated at Just Food for Dogs. The nutritionist there insisted on using Yuca (Casssva). I found out that this has to be well cooked and Yuca (Cassava) is not appropriate to use regularly or for low protein diets. I am frustrated they won’t use agar to thicken instead. They also cannot get organic green peas or organic cranberries. Come on -this is Southern California. Whole Foods and Mothers Market are just around the corner. Everyone carries organic veggies! I am frustrated because I need some company to prepare a custom diet for my senior kitty who has some kidney failure, need low protein rabbit for her IBD and likes pate. I am in south Orange County.
If you know of a company please let me know. My advice is to stay away from Yuca (Cassava) see attached webMD photo.
A7380EE9-A0EE-4427-A03A-175722BD29D6.jpeg
4683190C-A6B7-48A9-AF84-803131E409AF.png

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's bad for business to kill your customers. I'm fairly certain they have prepared it correctly. Also, they say they use it in small quantities so there's that too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The screenshots are for information on cassava for people, not pets. Pets may react differently and it's best to discuss concerns about a particular ingredient with your vet.
Pretty sure cyanide is harmful to pets too. But I'm also pretty sure that if there was even a remote possibility of poisoning pets, they wouldn't come near that ingredient in their formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Carbs such as peas, etc. are added to lower the amount of protein so there is less phosphorus in the diet. Low phosphorus is most definitely needed for kidney failure. I have met with internal medicine veterinarians and with nephrology urology internal medicine veterinarian experts who agree with this. If Yuca (Cassava) can release cyanide in humans it is also likely that can happen to a cat and there are safer ways to thicken the pate. Why risk it? As far as organic I’d rather feed my cat organic carbs because pesticides can be hard for her as she is now fragile. A custom diet with lowered salt, no preservatives and less phosphorus can extend my cat’s life. Paul’s custom diet is in Connecticut. I need a company in Orange County, California. Thank you for the info on Petco and for your suggestions.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Carbs such as peas, etc. are added to lower the amount of protein so there is less phosphorus in the diet. Low phosphorus is most definitely needed for kidney failure. I have met with internal medicine veterinarians and with nephrology urology internal medicine veterinarian experts who agree with this. If Yuca (Cassava) can release cyanide in humans it is also likely that can happen to a cat and there are safer ways to thicken the pate. Why risk it? As far as organic I’d rather feed my cat organic carbs because pesticides can be hard for her as she is now fragile. A custom diet with lowered salt, no preservatives and less phosphorus can extend my cat’s life. Paul’s custom diet is in Connecticut. I need a company in Orange County, California. Thank you for the info on Petco and for your suggestions.
I don't disagree that low phosphorus is needed for kidney cats, but a low protein diet is not needed to achieve a low phosphorus diet. I feed my cats a diet of over 50% calories from animal protein and the phosphorus amount is only .7 dmb.

I just don't understand why pay someone to make you a specialized meal and not have them make it high in animal protein and low in phosphorus? It's absolutely doable. No cat should be eating fruits and veggies. You might as well just feed Hills or RC kidney diet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not certain (because I don't have any experience with kidney disease), but I think you can add cooked egg white to increase protein without increasing phosphorus.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not certain (because I don't have any experience with kidney disease), but I think you can add cooked egg white to increase protein without increasing phosphorus.
Removing bone from poultry substantially reduces the phosphorus amount. And yes, using egg whites and raw yolk also helps.

Rad Cat used to have diets of all kinds of proteins (chicken, turkey, lamb, venison) that ranged in .4-.8 dmb phosphorous.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems clear that we cannot convince you that the manufacturer has done their due dilligence with their yuca selection and preparation. Have you contacted the manufacturer directly about your concern?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I have managed my fair share of older cats with kidney issues. It's one of the most common issues for older cats.

1. Low Phosphorus is key. This does not mean low protein. That is old old old school thinking. There are several ways to accomplish low phosphorus without sacrificing protein. Cats are obligate carnivores, and as such they need their protein.

You can use phosphorus binders in the food, or, you can check out this article about managing it with naicinamide.

2. Hydration is a major factor. Wet food is the way to go.

Here's another thread on managing kidney disease:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is confusing because while yuca and cassava are the same thing, yucca is completely different! I was confused about why cat food would have yucca in it lol

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Just took a couple minutes to skim through the Just Food for Dogs FAQs and this jumped out at me...

For starters dogs are not true carnivores, they can actually live without meat in their diet although we believe a diet containing meat is much better.
This would make me nervous. It's a very broad and misleading statement.

Dogs are indeed carnivores.
HOWEVER, their digestive system has a built in "survival mechanism" (limited amount of enzymes) that allows them to eat limited fruits and root vegetables during lean winter months. This does not mean they can live without meat! It simply means they are not obligate carnivores like cats.

Yes, you can include some fruits and veggies (preferably not grains) in a dogs diet, but it should really be only a small percentage.

Their statement, and the fact that they include grains in their dog food formulas, would make me pause before buying product or engaging their services for pet food.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't disagree that low phosphorus is needed for kidney cats, but a low protein diet is not needed to achieve a low phosphorus diet. I feed my cats a diet of over 50% calories from animal protein and the phosphorus amount is only .7 dmb.

I just don't understand why pay someone to make you a specialized meal and not have them make it high in animal protein and low in phosphorus? It's absolutely doable. No cat should be eating fruits and veggies. You might as well just feed Hills or RC kidney diet.
They are formulating around 48% protein low phosphorus - I don’t have details yet but it is relatively lower than standard canned cat food though the Lotus pate is really similar in all.it will have no preservatives too.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
They are formulating around 48% protein low phosphorus - I don’t have details yet but it is relatively lower than standard canned cat food though the Lotus pate is really similar in all.it will have no preservatives too.
48% animal protein? From what you’re saying it sounds like it will be mostly plant protein. And is the percentage a percentage of calories?

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No it is not mostly plants it is being formulated similar to Lotus rabbit pate that she is doing well on. I’ve been trying to get the carbs all organic and they couldn’t do all. And they wanted to use yuca cassava and I feel it is too risky. They don’t have agar to thicken the pate a bit and wanted to use yuca cassava but I won’t risk it,

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got s PhD veterinary nutritionist because the nutritionist for Just Food for dogs kept wanting the yuca cassava in the formula

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if it’s high in animal protein then what you’re saying sounds good. I am surprised that they are able to make it high in protein and low in phosphorus with rabbit though. Rabbit meat is notoriously difficult to separate from bone and is therefore usually very high in phosphorus. That’s why companies like Rad Cat that made boneless low phosphorus recipes didn’t have a rabbit variety.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The article on naicinimide is excellent!! I’ll be sure to bring it to my vet’s attention/ thsnks