Young, healthy cats keep dying under mysterious circumstances

b122

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we took in a momma cat a year or so ago that was starving to death...very pretty white with tortoise shell coloring...she's really sweet...very street smart...seems almost impervious to sickness etc. but a few litters of her kittens...a few from each batch seem to develop stroke like symptoms where their eyes almost cross...very red and droopy...then they start to lose motor functioning...very loud vocalizations...then boom.. they're dead...no signs when they're kittens...very healthy..fed, watered...bathed to keep fleas down etc... just comes on all at once...

no one could be poisoning them most never leave the yard and mainly housecats...no vomiting etc either...thought maybe the last one could be having a cardiac event so as a last ditch effort i tried liquifying some aspirin and using a dropper but i couldn't save it...i'm convinced it's genetic as the momma only has access to one male which is for certain not related to her in any way so there is not inbreeding or whatever the proper term is...guess we're just gonna have her fixed because i can't keep going through this...i'm the type of person who can tolerate human suffering much easier than animal so it really bothers me...thoughts? i apologize in advance if this is the wrong section

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to make a rather wild guess here and say that this is probably a genetic condition, and probably neurological in nature. I do strongly suggest having your cat spayed ASAP for her own sake ( Talien Talien is right, repeated litters are VERY hard on females), and because her kittens are suffering. I am SO sorry you have had to go through this.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i tried liquifying some aspirin and using a dropper but i couldn't save it
Do you mean human aspirin? If so, that's extremely toxic to cats. I don't think the outcome would be different for this kitten, just saying for the future. Never give aspirin to a cat. Or another medicine without consulting a vet.

I agree with the others getting her spayed is the best. I'm really sorry you went through the loss of the kittens. Thanks for helping her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia and are 6 and 7 years old. I really doubt leukemia would kill that fast. They usually get sicker and sicker, wasting away. I have pulled them through a few times now. I would venture that it is a genetic condition with the mom being the carrier, that is why she is OK. Most likely cardiac or neurological in nature to happen quickly. I'm so sorry you have to witness this, bless you for wanting to prevent more suffering.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mother cat may have survived panleukopenia (commonly called feline distemper) or some other virus. According to my vet, kittens borne to such mothers often have abnormalities. In-breeding can also lead to all sorts of problems. I have only seen ataxie and strabismus (cross-eyes) but these cats had at least survived their early years.