Young Cat Showed Up, I Think She Had Her Kittens Under My Shed!

ElaineS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

Just 2 days ago a very young (I think 7-9 months at the most) cat showed up in my garden, she was incredibly friendly, probably the most friendly cat I've ever met, which makes me believe she's had a home once. I fed her and gave her attention and she went on her way.

She was clearly heavily pregnant. She came back the next night for more food, and was repeatedly trying to get in my house. I already have 5 strays I've took in and I just can't afford another, I'm moving in a few months to start college so it's just horrible timing.

I had not seen the cat all day today, but about 2 hours ago she showed up again for food, with a much smaller stomach and blood on her behind. She came from under my shed, so I'm assuming that's where she had her kittens. I can barely see under my shed and it's far too large to move so I couldn't actually see any kittens.

She's been sitting at my back door for almost 2 hours now, obviously not with her newborns. I'm worried that she's too young to have her maternal instinct and won't go back to her kittens to feed them soon. Or what if they were still born or something.

I live in a small town in Ireland and there really is no animal rescue group to take her or her kittens in, I'm at a loss at what to do!

Thanks for reading.

Elaine.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding mom? She needs lots of food to nurse her babies.

The babies are probably fine under the shed. Hopefully she is caring for them.

It sounds like mom wants some attention. I wonder if you gave her a chance, if she would bring her babies inside and put them in a nest inside your home.

This would be good in that they would be safe, and perhaps you could put them in a separate room or bathroom until you are able to connect with a rescue shelter that could take them.

Is it possible you could make a nest in a box, show it to her, then open the door for her to perhaps bring her kittens in?

What town are you in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ElaineS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm feeding the mother. She has barey moved from the same spot for over 2 and a half hours now, she doesn't seem in any hurry to go to her kittens. There was also a male cat in the garden a while ago and she didn't seem at all bothered that a strange male was near where I assume her kittens are.

I can make a nesting box for her. I've already been leaving my shed door open for her but she hasn't gone in. 2 of my cats were very ill in recent weeks and spent a long time in the vets, they're not 100% yet at all, so I'm weary to bring her indoors now when I have no idea if she's been vaccinated or anything. Also, this is my fathers house and I've already brought in so many strays, so I don't think he'd appreciate me adding more.

I live in Ireland. There's one cat rescue where I live, but it's one woman operating from her own home, with at least 150 cats, so she rarely takes in any cats aside from ill strays now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand your reticence to let her inside. Perhaps put the nesting box inside the shed. Perhaps also feed her inside the shed, and the combination may induce her to bring the kittens inside the shed.

I was wondering which town in Ireland you are in. :)

ElaineS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can definitely put a nesting box inside the shed.

It's been over 3 hours now and she still has not moved and gone to where the kittens are, I'm concerned she won't feed them, I read that new borns needed to be fed every 2-3 hours and it's already been longer than that.

I'm in Sligo, in the north west of Ireland :)

Thanks again for replying.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See if she will go over to the shed with you when you take the nesting box and some food.

ElaineS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just checked again and she has moved, hopefully to her kittens.

It is after midnight here now, I will get the supplies for a nesting box tomorrow and I will update then.

Thank you again.

ElaineS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is absolutely no sign of her so far this morning :( Hopefully she will come over later. I tried to have a look under my shed now that there is daylight, and I'm starting to doubt that the kittens are under it. I couldn't see them, hear their voices or any form of movement at all!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may have moved the kittens. Or they may be under the shed and quiet. Is she inside the shed by chance?

Perhaps you will see her this evening, especially as she knows you are a food source.

Be prepared with a nest box for the shed in case she returns later.

For future reference, here is a link for the Northwest ISPCA. It is not too far from you in Ballina, County Mayo.

North West SPCA

Should she end up raising her kittens in your yard, you would need an adoption center for them eventually.

Please post if you see her again. I'm anxious for the well-being of her kittens too!

ElaineS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's still no sign of her :( Usually as soon as I walk out to the garden she comes to me. I've been calling out for her with food in my hand and nothing. I've checked the shed too and she's not in there.

I'll be ready and waiting with food this evening. I've sent my neighbour a photograph of her so that she can keep a look out too.

Thanks for all of our help, I will certainly keep you posted.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can be very quiet, practically under your feet with there babies nursing. And sometimes they are just exhausted and need time away from the babies to rest. I bet she is close by.

ElaineS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just seen her there :) I called her into my garden after seeing her resting next door and gave her a big dish of food.

I spoke to a neighbour just there and this kitty has been seen in a few other people's gardens in my street.

I gave her lots of attention after feeding her, and I could not feel any milk in her teats at all, there wasn't any residue or anything on them, they were completely flat and dry. What do you think that means?

Thank you both for your help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad you saw her and that she is well.

I am at a loss as to why she has no milk if she has just had kittens.

ElaineS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's just sleeping in the garden now, she's been there for about an hour and a half so far.

Yes so am I. I'll continue to check for milk every time I see her, of course. I wonder if it's possible that the kittens were still born? It's too soon to know I'm sure, especially when i have no idea where she had them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is rare for a cat not to have milk, including cats who are malnourished.

Suckling stimulates milk flow, as do hormones.

Vets can give a shot of oxytocin to stimulate lactation, but so far no babies have been located.

This is a puzzling situation. I'm hoping mom shows signs of something soon. :)

ElaineS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very puzzling. She has been relaxing in my garden for the last 4 and a half hours roughly, and before that she was in my next door neighbours garden lying on a chair, and this morning another neighbour saw her alone in someone else's garden.

I have no idea if it's normal for a mother cat to be spending so much time away from kittens, obviously not feeding them during these long times away, when they're only a day old.

Thank you :)

Last edited: