You know what's fascinating? The radiator knob.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a window right above Willy's head, with great cat-TV playing 24/7 (people, animals, traffic, other city commotion)... but the radiator knob was more interesting this morning.

It makes a hissing sound sometimes when the heat is on, but the heat is not on yet.

Our cats are weirdos sometimes.

20221222_133308.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a window right above Willy's head, with great cat-TV playing 24/7 (people, animals, traffic, other city commotion)... but the radiator knob was more interesting this morning.

It makes a hissing sound sometimes when the heat is on, but the heat is not on yet.

Our cats are weirdos sometimes.

View attachment 459948
Cats' hearing is many times more acute than ours -- 3-4 times according to different publications -- so it's not surprising that any sound would come to Willy's attention!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. You can't hear it but she can. I have heard cats have better sense of hearing than dogs. It may be a sound, it might be a vibration. The valve shouldn't hiss. Valve might need repair or replacement, piping to valve might have a pinhole (look for rust water mark) or pressure in the system might be to high.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. You can't hear it but she can. I have heard cats have better sense of hearing than dogs. It may be a sound, it might be a vibration. The valve shouldn't hiss. Valve might need repair or replacement, piping to valve might have a pinhole (look for rust water mark) or pressure in the system might be to high.
TYSM for bringing this up, Purr-fect Purr-fect -- I am thinking the same thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The valve shouldn't hiss. Valve might need repair or replacement, piping to valve might have a pinhole (look for rust water mark) or pressure in the system might be to high.
You and tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 are probably right, it's making a sound that draws his attention. But this is a rented apartment, and thus I don't really care about the valve. :lol:

(Heat is included in my rent, here, since it's an old building with radiator heat. So if the valve leaks, and it's inefficient, it doesn't bother me that much.)

If it gives Willy something interesting to listen to and stare at, it's just another form of Cat TV.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 are probably right, it's making a sound that draws his attention. But this is a rented apartment, and thus I don't really care about the valve. :lol:

(Heat is included in my rent, here, since it's an old building with radiator heat. So if the valve leaks, and it's inefficient, it doesn't bother me that much.)

If it gives Willy something interesting to listen to and stare at, it's just another form of Cat TV.
I'm pretty sure Purr-fect Purr-fect and I are thinking of your safety and that of your loved ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure Purr-fect Purr-fect and I are thinking of your safety and that of your loved ones.
Is there something dangerous about this? It's just steam heat... it's not gas or anything.

I've had a valve with a bigger leak before, and it just dripped water.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there something dangerous about this? It's just steam heat... it's not gas or anything.

I've had a valve with a bigger leak before, and it just dripped water.
Thanks for explaining that. I thought it was a gas radiator. No, if it's just water, it should be okay...I'm no authority but unless it's under tremendous pressure, it's just possibly a bit annoying to Willy...?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The worts case scenario would be the relief valve failing and hot water all over the floor. Would recommend shutting the main valve to the boiler off in this scenario as it would be catestrophic failure of the system.

The boiler could also explode but very unlikely to happen or injure anybody outside the boiler room.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worts case scenario would be the relief valve failing and hot water all over the floor. Would recommend shutting the main valve to the boiler off in this scenario as it would be catestrophic failure of the system.
YEAH. Whether you own or rent, things happen and it's good to be proactive.