Yet 1 more thing to add to the list

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The list of things that the Hobo will eat

After all the feasting at my mother's today, I decided that tonight I wanted something light, simple and easy to clean up. So, I decided to try a recipe I'd seen several weeks ago on a re-run of The Urban Peasant. Creamed peas with ham over toast. It was quick, easy and delicious.

And yes, the Hobo loved it. He's always liked whole peas, and this was a bonus treat for him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

My mother used to make that. It's very good, and very cheap.
Oh goodness, I know. The package of ham was only like $3.79, and I only used 1/3 of it. The whole plate may have cost $2 to make. Cheaper than fast food and lots better.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

The Urban Peasant -- James Barber -- my hero!
I've tried a couple of his recipes and to be honest, I wasn't impressed.

I remember he supplied the recipes for a free yearly calendar that The Winnipeg Free Press gives away each year. One recipe was for apple pie with what looked like a yummy crumble topping. The pie had Parmesan cheese in it (not sure if it was in the topping or in the filling) and it sounded so good.

It ended up being the most awful pie I ever tried. I took it to work thinking that some people there would eat it. Everyone agreed that it was horrible.

EDIT: I think it might have been this one.

http://www.dairygoodness.ca/en/consu...m?recipeid=350

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

I thought that cats were obligate carnivores.
Not hardly
Even feral cats that feed on wild live prey will eat grasses and the occasional berry now and then. But we've all become accustomed to the Hobo's tastes being downright weird sometimes.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like the chipped beef my husband makes. No peas, but it is corned beef, a flour sauce similar to that used in biscuits and gravy, over toast. So yummy!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

That sounds like the chipped beef my husband makes. No peas, but it is corned beef, a flour sauce similar to that used in biscuits and gravy, over toast. So yummy!
Yes, that's it exactly
I'd made the chipped beef before, but this was the first I'd ever heard of ham and peas. It's quite good

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

I thought that cats were obligate carnivores.
Nora actually seeks out fruits and vegetables. She loves them. There have been numerous times when we have bought some pears or tomatoes and leave them in the bag on a plate on our counter. The next day we will go to get them and Nora will have broken through the bag and eaten them while we were sleeping. If we are preparing vegetables and leaving scraps in the sink she will jump up straight into the sink (forget walking across the counter) and start chowing down. All you see is her little butt sticking up out of the sink. LOL It's pretty funny. She'll do it right in front of us, even though she knows she isn't allowed on the counter and doesn't usually when we are around. She devours bananas and broccoli, likes cucumber skins but not so much the inside of it, and has been known to chew on an apple or two (but tends to prefer softer foods). She can smell fruits/veggies across the house. We call her our vegetarian cat.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

She can smell fruits/veggies across the house. We call her our vegetarian cat.
That is so funny! And she's OK afterward? My Pushy stole some peas and corn the other night, then 10 minutes later threw it up.

I love mushy peas and ham! That's a childhood favourite recipe. My mum used to make it with pancakes.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

That is so funny! And she's OK afterward? My Pushy stole some peas and corn the other night, then 10 minutes later threw it up.
The only time she has ever thrown up or had diarrhea is when my mom brought me some flowers for Thanksgiving and Nora tried to eat them. Otherwise she is perfectly fine eating fruits and veggies.