Yes, Peeing On My Bed

loribe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone ...I am new here and like many ...found this forum while searching for info on a new issue I am having with my cat. So here I am ...
I have read everything I can find on the problem ...peeing on my bed (or NOT in his litter box) I know it has been widely discussed and nothing seems to apply, in as far as the things I should consider; except for to take him to the vet ...it seems the #1 thing to check out is his health ... which I will do as soon as I can. I live in a remote location and it's winter here ...big winter. Getting in and out is a challenge right now.
My cat seems fine - he plays, he eats ...he is completely himself. He is about 7 years old & neutered. There is no stress in his life that I can deduce ...he is a very happy cat. I keep his box clean. I scoop everyday and sometimes twice a day. He has a large ample box ...same everything ...same food, same litter, same box, same location ...he has always been good about using his box except for a couple times when his box became inaccessible briefly. Those times were when there was a strange dog visiting (the dog slept upstairs and that is where his box is) and the other time was when a few large tools got sat in the way ...so the 'accidents' in the past had an explanation.
We have a small 2 story home and his box is upstairs - where it's been since we moved here ...today I told hubby I should put a box downstairs too but he adamantly refuses to let me ...and he is resistant to me taking him to the vet too ...he doesn't see how this could be a medical issue ...frankly I don't understand how a medical condition causes a cat to urinate someplace other than his normal, but it seems to be the #1 piece of advice in a case like this ...a new 'behavior' with no explanation ...I am heart broken over having found a big wet spot on the quilt of our bed this morning ...my cat often sleeps with us there ...& I play with him there sometimes; so I am baffled as to why he would choose this location ...and it is the location he chose in the previous 2 situations I described above ...it is the only place he has ever used other than his box. Now of course he will not be allowed on the bed any more ...I put a sheet of plastic over the bed this morning after changing it. But keeping him out of the room will be tough as we heat with wood and cannot shut the door ...I'm so heartbroken over this ...it's so upsetting and I don't know what to do. Yes I will get him a vet regardless of the hubs resistance but that might be more than a few days due to our circumstances.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat bubbles is peeing everywhere he can burying his pee so on clothes, rapped Christmas gifts to the baby car seat, luckily the broken one which is being thrown out as we have a new one. The reason is he has an inflamed bladder and he is on antibiotics to clear up infections. So there could be a medical reason.

The vet recommended that we use litter boxes around the house where he could pee, he pees outside, on small garden pebbles in the plant bed normally. So we don't have a litter box. As it's Christmas we can't get litter as stores are closed.

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely recommend that you take him to the vet. He could have an infection.

daveleau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Take him to a vet. Our former cat began doing something similar and it ended up having quite a large stone in its bladder. Me being someone who previously ridiculed others as frivolous who spent gobs of money on their pets' medical costs was the first to reach for my wallet when the vet said he could put her down or do laser surgery to remove the stone. She lived another 3 years after that without further peeing incidents after the laser surgery.

In the short term, find a place that is acceptable to your husband for a second litter box. Make sure the cat knows where it is. Keep them both clean daily. Try not to put anything on the floor that looks like it's worth peeing on. As for the bed, you kind of have to hope the cat takes to the second box rather than the bed. Hope is not a great strategy, but it's the best there is currently. :) Tell your husband it's either a second box or he sleeps in cat pee.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have to put the box somewhere the cat can go quickly, as cats with bladder problems (and humans) get a sudden urge to go, and we humans sometimes pee outdoors, this would be the same for your cat but indoors out of their littler box

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loribe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for those responses ...I find it comforting that maybe there is a legit reason ... and I will get him to a vet as soon as I can get transport out of here ...snowbound for now but hopefully in a couple days ...

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you checked YouTube on how to feel for things like the bladder being full?

When we took bubbles to the emergency vet last week he showed us how on a cat, my sister is a paramedic but didn't know on a cat how to check for things, the vet was very nice and showed us the key things to look out for by checking the bodily organs.

loribe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you checked YouTube on how to feel for things like the bladder being full?

When we took bubbles to the emergency vet last week he showed us how on a cat, my sister is a paramedic but didn't know on a cat how to check for things, the vet was very nice and showed us the key things to look out for by checking the bodily organs.
Never would have thought of that ...great idea, TY

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might need antibiotics from the vet. But can you give him a 5.5oz can of wet canned cat food per day until then? The moisture will help dilute his urine.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank my emergency vet, who showed us how, it gave me the thought of sharing.

I am sure he will need antibiotics, according to my vet... when in doubt ask a vet

loribe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He might need antibiotics from the vet. But can you give him a 5.5oz can of wet canned cat food per day until then? The moisture will help dilute his urine.
He does get wet food and I add a bit of water to it ...plus he is a drinker ...he rules the water bowl!

loribe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
after watching a YT video as suggested by gaogier ...I have no doubts that my kitty has a bladder issue ...he drinks ALOT ...he really always has. I have had him for almost 4 years. I am noticing he is not peeing much right now ...I scooped at 7ish this morning ...1 pee 1 poop. I scooped a little after 6 this evening ...1 pee 1 poop ...he should be peeing 4 or 5 times a day with what he is drinking ...def getting him to the doc as soon as we can get off this mountain.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad my advise has helped you.

I assume you checked to see if his bladder is full...? Does it feel full?

loribe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad my advise has helped you.

I assume you checked to see if his bladder is full...? Does it feel full?
I did try but was a little apprehensive and could not really tell if I was finding it ...he did not act as though he was in pain ...but this morning there was no pee in his box but 2 poops ...I have looked elsewhere for pee and found nothing so far ...so it's been over 14 hours since he has peed to my knowledge ...he acts fine - he eats good, he is drinking lots (which means he should pee) ...he is his usual amount of playful but I am def concerned about the lack of urine ...

loribe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
since I can't seem to be able to edit my post ...I am adding that I DID find where he peed ...on a towel that was laid in front of the exterior door to block drafts ...while this still saddens me that he did not use his box - at least he peed