Yeast vs Bacterial Ear Infections

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I found out today Enzo has a bacterial infection in both ears. Aside from the obvious, yeast being a fungi/not bacterial, can anyone help me with what might cause this? He’s had yeast ear infections in the past that turned out to be food allergies, but the vet tech I spoke to (my vet had left already) said food wasn’t usually a cause of bacterial ear infections.

I have Animax to put in his ears every 12 hours for 10 days, but I’m just curious as to what might cause yeast ear infections vs what causes bacterial ones. Thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As far as I know, allergies - food or environmental - can cause bacterial and/or yeast infections. A lot of times a bacterial infection arises as a secondary infection due to an overgrowth of yeast/bacteria in the ear canals. Ear mites can also cause secondary infections, as well as too much ear wax or dirt in the ear canal. Excessive scratching or bothering their ears can also cause inflammation which can easily turn into a bacterial infection.

I take it they tested the 'debris' from Enzo's ears to confirm it is a bacterial infection?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. As far as I know, allergies - food or environmental - can cause bacterial and/or yeast infections. A lot of times a bacterial infection arises as a secondary infection due to an overgrowth of yeast/bacteria in the ear canals. Ear mites can also cause secondary infections, as well as too much ear wax or dirt in the ear canal. Excessive scratching or bothering their ears can also cause inflammation which can easily turn into a bacterial infection.

I take it they tested the 'debris' from Enzo's ears to confirm it is a bacterial infection?
Thanks for replying! Yep, they did swabs to determine what type it was and it’s bacterial. My main concern is that it’s not his food. He also goes for walks on a harness, and loves to eat grass, so I’m wondering if it could be an environmental allergy. Last night I also read that polyps can cause ear infections, but there’s no way to check unless they put him under anesthesia to look into the back of his throat, and I really don’t want to have to do that. He absolutely hates the salve she gave me to put in his ears, but hopefully it clears it up and if it recurs I’ll have to consider the polyps. I wish cats could talk and tell you what’s bothering them. It would save years of my life for not having to constantly worry!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night I also read that polyps can cause ear infections, but there’s no way to check unless they put him under anesthesia to look into the back of his throat, and I really don’t want to have to do that.
I'd more inclined to think ear polyps (as opposed to the throat). If the vet used an otoscope - which they very well might have - to look into his ears, any polyps not deep within the ear canal should have been visible. Just check with the vet to see if they did.

Pollen can sometimes be an allergy trigger in cats - so given this time of year, that might be the issue. The best you can do is to make it a practice to check your cat's ears periodically to make sure there’s no redness, residue, or odor. Healthy ears are pale pink and have no visible debris or odor and minimal or no ear wax.