Yeast infection?

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got my cat from ex owner on the 10th last month.
My cat has these dark dots in the ear. Thought ear mites and had applied revolution on the 15th last month.
But the dirt still there and she also do not let us clean.
Brought to the vet today and it's not mites but yeast on both ears.
Prescribed with drops.
What could be the reason? She is on raw food but think my raw food preparation is differ nt from the ex owners.
They mixed everything fro meat, orga, bone and supplement.
I use the pre made supplement to the chicken meat.
Could food be a cause?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeast infections in the ears can have a number of causes ranging from allergies up to endocrine disorders. I think you should use the drops and see if it clears up. However, it may recur if the cause is still there. Since you seem to have gotten her with yeast issues (?) it might even go back to the previous diet that the owner was feeding. Or did this just start as you got her?

https://www.cuteness.com/article/rid-cats-yeast-infection

This article breaks down yeast in cats. You might need to have your vet do a little more research if this does not respond to the drops.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Normally when I hear "yeast infection" , I DO think it's food related, but this is the first time I've read that the cat was being fed a raw diet and had this issue, since typically it's too many grains that cause the problem :frown: . Certainly that isn't the case here. I suppose it could be the protein (chicken) that he has an allergy to. Do you know if the previous owners also fed raw chicken? And, like fionasmom fionasmom , I read your post to mean he came to you with this issue, correct? If that's the case, it's probably NOT your pre-mix that is causing it. Does that pre-mix have pre and pro-biotics in it. My understanding is that it's the gut that allows the yeast to get out of hand, so using a pre and pro-biotic can help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has been fed on raw food from day one with the prev owner. Prev raw food is all raw chicken. Heart, gizzard, liver, eggs and individual supplements. I am using the same raw food just the supplements are prepacked from Alnutrin. She came.with ears OK and noticed it after 4 days. Thought its mites. But vet just confirmed. It's yeast.
She is on raw on main and we add dry kibble as treats. Also can wet food occasionally.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did the previous owner give the kibble and treats? Or the wet cat food?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really don't see how the Alnutrin could cause this issue so quickly, or at all, for that matter. My guess is it's the kibble as treats, although that seems odd too, in such a short time. Is she a Bengal or Savannah? I'm not good with breeds, but your Avatar isn't just a "plain old cat". Looks like a purebred of some sort, and those come with their own particular issues, I'm told. Is your Vet familiar with her breed? If not, I would contact whoever you got her from and see if they know of a Vet who specializes in her breed. Or contact a breeder and ask them.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is pedigree bengal cat.
Previous owner only gave raw food ( chicken breast, gizzard, heart, bone, liver and the rest is varius individual supplements). Now am thinking should I go for wellness core can wet food instead. Can commercial wet food be given to bengal rather than raw food?

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am having difficulty in getting to put the drops. She is strong and attempts to bite and claw. Tried to do in her sleep also cannot. Pls help and advice how I can put the drops?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Personally, I don't think Wellness Core is better than raw with alnutrin. I would cut out the dry food altogether, and also cut out any canned food to see if they are the culprits first.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dry kibbles were given only few days later after I got her. My believe could be something else in the raw food preparation from the ex owner to mine. The vet does nit believe in giving raw food to the cat and suggested more on high quality dry kibbles and can wet food.
But when reading through net its so much differrent opinions. Can bengal species be fed with dry kibbles and can food? Acana dry food seems more closer to raw food but its still dry kibbles.
Attached is thee ingredient list.
Also can I feed as in morning dry and evening wet food can food. But need to look out for quality can food as wellness core wet can has potato and bieve we are to avoid potato and guar gum and xanthan gum?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I mentioned earlier, I would reach out to the previous owners or a well known breeder or a Vet who specializes in Bengals to discuss nutrition. Bengals may have particular needs that most cats do not have.

I personally don't even feed kibble to my cats, who are not any specific breed but from a shelter. Only wet food with very few carbs (no potatoes, peas, corn, wheat, etc., but mainly I feed raw.

Many Vets don't believe in feeding raw, mainly because they aren't knowledgeable about it. After I educated my Vet about it then she was fine with it ;)

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After putting in the drops for yeast infection, she started to scratch her ears more and also shaking her head more often.
Also more brown dirt is being visible in her ear.
Any one who had treated cats with ear yeast infection can advice?
I feel bad whenever I have to catch her to put the drops as she is not happy and starts to run and scratch defensively.
Will the drops hurt?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
After almost a month of this issue I would take her back to a Vet, but one who is familiar with Bengals. Can you ask her former owner or someone who breeds Bengals in your area to recommend such a Vet?