X-ray opinion

scottreadman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

This is my first post. We rescued Jimmy from the streets (well he came to us) 2 months ago. He had a cough and mild breathing issues but it went away until this week. The last 2 days his breathing was very laboured and he coughed regularly. I've taken him to the vet and they've given a diagnosis. I just wondered if anyone on here can interpret the attached x-ray so I can be sure?

Thanks

Scott

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i see that his lungs are pretty full, there should be large black areas indicating 'air'. his heart may be mildly enlarged too? I just had a cat that was very close to dying with congestion, the vet didn't have much hope. They gave him injections of antibiotic, steroida and lasix, and sent him home with prednisolone and lasix for 30 days. It ahs been a week and he is remarkably better! don't give up, come back and tell us what the vet diagnosed and what they did! I'll pray for your little boy......

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Most everyone on this site are laypeople, not vets, just so you know. I agree with the above - it would be helpful to know the vet's diagnosis and any related treatment plans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scottreadman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The diagnosis is a diaphragmatic hernia. The vet said his intestines are leaking into his chest cavity and restricting his breathing. He needs urgent surgery. He wasn't overly convincing and when he showed me the x-ray he wasn't very specific about what it showed. I wanted to see if anyone with expertise on here could confirm his interpretation to put my mind at rest.

Thanks everyone

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go online and look at a ‘normal’ side view X-ray of a cat. You can see that something is very different in your cat, there are no big black air spaces that indicate his lungs. So whether it is congestion or his intestines something is very wrong!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In a case like yours, I would get a second opinion. To start off with, you could share the x-rays with another vet (not in the same practice) and see what they have to say.

If you have any friends, family members, neighbors, or co-workers who have a vet they like, ask if they would give you the contact information for them and set up an appointment, perhaps telling them you were referred to them.

Jimmy is a cute cat (so is your granny cat)!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi S scottreadman and a very warm welcome to the forum !

I do not think a general practice Vet, nor even a cat-only Vet, is best chosen to deal with this. This is 'heavy' specialized surgery IMO.

No members here are Vets, but we do have a very experienced Vet Tech onboard who is familiar with radiography. So, perhaps S silent meowlook could have a look and speak to this.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. His abdominal organs are in his chest. Diaphragmatic hernia is most likely what is going on. I am sorry. This would require surgery at a specialty hospital. In my experience the surgery is usually successful. Was there a traumatic injury? Hit by car or something else. Sometimes it can be congenital but I doubt he could survive that long like this. Surgery is the only option.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely get the surgery, and sooner rather than later. Don't wait on this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet said his intestines are leaking into his chest cavity and restricting his breathing. He needs urgent surgery.
i don't think Jimmy's intestines are really 'leaking' into his chest cavity, but digestive tract related organs can move into the chest cavity through the hole and crowd his lungs/heart. Depending on if this was from an accident or not, the size of the hole, and his symptoms will help determine the urgency of surgery. There are congenital related hernias of this type, and without symptoms sometimes cats can go for years without anyone even knowing of it. However, something has changed recently due to the shift in his breathing and coughing.

Here is an article about the condition so you can better discuss everything with the vet. Maybe if you do that, you will feel a bit more comfortable with him/her.
Diaphragmatic Hernia In Cats (Abnormal Diaphragm Opening) Cats.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scottreadman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for this its really helpful. The VET definitely said intestines and other things have moved into his chest and are putting pressure on his lungs etc and suggested it was trauma whilst he was a stray. He only arrived on our doorstep 2 months ago so we have no idea what he'd been through for his first 10 or so months. He was breathing a little strangely then but it went away until the last few days.

I just wanted to be absolutely sure before we go ahead.

Thanks again

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you look at the X-ray, where his lungs should be filled with air ( will look black) instead he has intestines in there. So, while it may not have been a large tear to begin with, it has gotten worse and is now life threatening. I have attached a normal cat X-ray for comparison
6B615B81-7C36-4DAF-AAB2-7D7EA90FE9FC.jpeg