Wounded Paws

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About two weeks ago, Casper was injured on his front right paw. I don't know what happened to it, since the injury occurred when he was outside. It looked like a very minor wound, with a little bleeding around one nail, so I rinsed it in warm water and didn't worry about it until two days later. Then I noticed that he was limping and his foot was swollen, so I took him to the vet for an emergency appointment. He had an abscess near one toe, which was drained and cleaned. He was prescribed 7 days -- 14 pills -- Clavamox, which he took with no problems. His paw healed nicely.

Then two days ago, Casper came in from outdoors with a similar wound on his back right paw, only this time there was bleeding around one nail and on the side and top of his paw. I washed off the wound in warm water again. I probably should have used some sort of disinfectant, but it was very hard to restrain him even just using warm water.

Today, his back right paw is swollen and he is limping. Clearly he needs veterinary treatment. My question is whether he needs a full examination, or if antibiotics would be sufficient. His wounds are tiny, probably tooth punctures. This isn't a case where he needs stitches, but I could imagine some sort of drainage procedure that might help, though I don't see an obvious bump indicating an abscess and he actually doesn't mind my manipulating his paw and toes (in contrast to his previous paw injury).

His last vet appointment was not fun, for him or me. It was on an emergency basis, meaning there was lots of waiting around, and it was with a vet (not his regular vet) and vet assistant who were neither friendly to me, nor gentle to him. My inclination is to see if his regular vet will prescribe another course of Clavamox and monitor Casper in hope that antibiotic therapy will be sufficient. It's not so much the cost of another emergency appointment that I'm trying to avoid, as the time and stress on Casper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There also may be a long term problem here -- some new, aggressive animal in the neighborhood. There is a new dog, a few houses over, and he has twice been outside unleashed, though not to my knowledge on the days when Casper was injured. I have security cameras that record anything in or near my yard. I have a pretty good idea where Casper is being injured -- it's an adjacent yard (not the one with the dog), unfortunately owned by terrible people. They would at best ignore me if I asked them if they knew what happened. Also, drawing attention to Casper's daily visits to their yard is nothing that I want to do, lest I give them ideas about "punishing" me by hurting him. I walked the perimeter of their property yesterday in search of anything -- animal or human-made -- that might have hurt him, but didn't see anything suspicious.

I can't keep Casper inside, as he would go crazy. He's been an outdoor adventurer for all his 16 years. I'm open to any ideas for keeping him safe, however.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
If your vet didn’t see him, they won’t be able to prescribe antibiotics. But, it’s always worth it to ask anyway.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to go back to the ER. I would think, if not life threatening, it might be best to wait for your regular vet.

I have turned older outdoor loving cats into indoor cats fairly easily.

Cats are all about routines and schedules.While initially it can be somewhat stressful to alter these routines, it will be done if you are consistent, and new routines and patterns will take over their old ones.

I would say, in my experience, it takes about a month to change them. The month can be a challenge. They will be a bit vocal and want to dart out the door when you open it. But if you can stick it out for the month, most will dramatically improve.

You have to understand that they are cats, not people, and think like cats. They won’t be longing for the outdoors, they just know they are supposed to be somewhere else at that time.

Environmental enrichment is great for cats like these.Make sure they have vertical space to climb and have interesting things to do. Also set certain amounts of time for play at the same time everyday to help them acclimate and change their mindset.

Worst case scenario is they pester you to the point you cannot ignore it. Then ask your vet for behavioral medications to help with the transition. But that is a worst case scenario. I have never needed medications for the cats I made indoor cats. I did, with one cat, have to reinforce the screens on the windows. It was an easy fix with chicken wire.

I fear that with this being twice he has returned injured, that next time he may not return at all.

You don’t need to use anything to clean his paw. Cats heal incredibly well on thei own, and Ian sure he will clean it himself.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possable he could have been hit by a car? Paw injurys often are the only visable indications of such incedents since a cats paws get grazed by the pavement. He could have internal injuries you can't see. Either way i would get him in for a shot of antibiotics especialy if theres swelling, warmth, puss, or any other indication of infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possable he could have been hit by a car? Paw injurys often are the only visable indications of such incedents since a cats paws get grazed by the pavement. He could have internal injuries you can't see. Either way i would get him in for a shot of antibiotics especialy if theres swelling, warmth, puss, or any other indication of infection.
Casper wasn't hit by a car. I live on a very small, one-lane road, and I have a security camera that showed him crossing the road to get to a neighboring yard, then hopping/limping back 15 minutes later. No car drove down the road in the intervening time.

I think it was probably an animal that hurt him, but it's really strange to have two similar injuries within a couple weeks. This isn't typical at all. In a normal year, Casper might come home with a minor injury once. They've never become infected before, either.

This most recent injury seems to be improving on its own. The swelling on his paw and lower leg is much reduced from last night. Earlier today, he purred while I gently probed his injured paw with my fingers. I'm thinking that I'll take a wait and see approach with this. My vet has so far not consented to prescribe antibiotics without seeing him, and putting him through another appointment unnecessarily seems like a bad idea. As he gets older, he tolerates these visits less and less well. He screamed all the way through the last appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
If your vet didn’t see him, they won’t be able to prescribe antibiotics. But, it’s always worth it to ask anyway.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to go back to the ER. I would think, if not life threatening, it might be best to wait for your regular vet.

I have turned older outdoor loving cats into indoor cats fairly easily.

Cats are all about routines and schedules.While initially it can be somewhat stressful to alter these routines, it will be done if you are consistent, and new routines and patterns will take over their old ones.

I would say, in my experience, it takes about a month to change them. The month can be a challenge. They will be a bit vocal and want to dart out the door when you open it. But if you can stick it out for the month, most will dramatically improve.

You have to understand that they are cats, not people, and think like cats. They won’t be longing for the outdoors, they just know they are supposed to be somewhere else at that time.

Environmental enrichment is great for cats like these.Make sure they have vertical space to climb and have interesting things to do. Also set certain amounts of time for play at the same time everyday to help them acclimate and change their mindset.

Worst case scenario is they pester you to the point you cannot ignore it. Then ask your vet for behavioral medications to help with the transition. But that is a worst case scenario. I have never needed medications for the cats I made indoor cats. I did, with one cat, have to reinforce the screens on the windows. It was an easy fix with chicken wire.

I fear that with this being twice he has returned injured, that next time he may not return at all.

You don’t need to use anything to clean his paw. Cats heal incredibly well on thei own, and Ian sure he will clean it himself.
It might come to this. He's been going outside all his life, though, and he loves it. I hate to take that experience away from him. He rarely hunts now that he's older, but he still loves investigating the outdoors, scratching and peeing on trees, and otherwise reassuring himself that his territory remains intact.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But, if he isn’t around to do those things it won’t matter. He also won’t remember after a while.

I love to drive fast. Obviously I must remain at the speed limit or I will get tickets, and eventually loose my license and maybe my life. I know it is fun for cats to explore outside, but eventually their luck runs out, often without warning snd they disappear. You are lucky in that you have had two warnings that it isn’t safe for him outside. You may not get a third.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have the option of building or purchasing a catio for him? I have also brought in long term outside dwellers who completely adjusted to indoor life. I would be concerned about the bad neighbors or a new danger in the area. Do you think that someone is using a cat deterrent that has caused the injuries like a home made scat mat, but not a humane one?