wound covering alternatives??? need ideas

wakachewbaka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat suffers from Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex (gets ulcers on the skin from allergies). Anyways he has a wound that's trying to heal on his back hind leg. I need something to cover/ protect it because he uses his cone and rubs at it causing irritation. It needs to be something that is breathable and protective. Bandages don't stay on long and they aren't good long-term because the wound needs to get air. Other than that I cant think of anything else to try.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you get some breathable booties, or perhaps socks intended for cats or small dogs? You could also try DIYing a leg warmer for him out of a pair of human socks KittyLegs! though you’d need some kind of strap at the top and bottom to secure it.

Is he on a LID exclusion diet at the moment, or being treated for his EGC otherwise? Sores will generally start clearing up on their own once the condition starts improving, though not always the case, of course. It does help that the cat gets less itchy, though!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are liquid bandage products available for dogs and cats, in fact a lot of them, if you feel you need to go that route. You might check with the vet if you try that to make sure that the ingredients are non irritating and okay for your cat's condition.