Would you give a baby gift in this situation?

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been debating with my mom and brother over this.  My mother has medical problems and cannot go out to a salon.  One of my brother's friends' former girlfriends, is a hairdresser by trade.  She comes to the house to cut my mother's hair and color it, etc.  She has done this for many years but also has other clients she cuts at their residences.  She is, of course, paid for her services.

She and my mother talk and I might call them acquaintances.  However,I don't think my mother was invited to a baby shower.  My mother and brother think it appropriate to give a gift anyway.  They feel that $100 is proper.  However, I feel, given that, she is an acquaintance at best, and a hairdresser being paid for her services, first and foremost, that $100 is not only excessive but unnecessary.  I don't know if regional differences may influence this but we are in the Mid-Atlantic area.  I would give a card and perhaps, a gift card but I've never really encountered this situation, so I'm not sure.

I'd like some objective input.  

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a card and a small gift would be enough.   I wouldn't give $100 for a baby shower gift unless it was one of my kids having the baby.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been debating with my mom and brother over this.  My mother has medical problems and cannot go out to a salon.  One of my brother's friends' former girlfriends, is a hairdresser by trade.  She comes to the house to cut my mother's hair and color it, etc.  She has done this for many years but also has other clients she cuts at their residences.  She is, of course, paid for her services.

She and my mother talk and I might call them acquaintances.  However,I don't think my mother was invited to a baby shower.  My mother and brother think it appropriate to give a gift anyway.  They feel that $100 is proper.  However, I feel, given that, she is an acquaintance at best, and a hairdresser being paid for her services, first and foremost, that $100 is not only excessive but unnecessary.  I don't know if regional differences may influence this but we are in the Mid-Atlantic area.  I would give a card and perhaps, a gift card but I've never really encountered this situation, so I'm not sure.

I'd like some objective input.  
I'm with you. $100 for an acquaintance? I don't think so. At most I would get a card and a little sleeper outfit or a soft blankie. Something like this

I wouldn't spend more than $20 card included.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a nice card and a small gift is plenty. I wouldn't think the hairdresser would expect anything other than a card.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the others. $100 is way too much.

When my hairdresser had her baby, I gave her a $25 Target gift card; I've been going to her for about two years now, I think. $100 seems very excessive.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another vote for excess.  $100 is way too much. In a similar circumstance I'd give somewhere between $25-50 depending on well I knew and liked the person. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yipes, I gave my own cousin and SIL $35 Amazon giftcards! :lol3: Well, plus a card and a lovey for the baby so maybe it came to $50 altogether. I think $100 is too much for an acquaintance especially if you're not even going to the shower.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too think that would be excessive.  A card and small gift or gift card would be enough.   

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One hundred dollars is a lot of money to me and an expense I couldn't afford. Your mother may easily be able to afford a $100 gift. If she can and wants to give that much, it should be her decision to do so. She should by no means feel obligated but if this is something she wishes to do, then let her do it and be happy. She sounds like a generous soul.
 BTW, if your mother finds it too difficult to make it to the salon, I doubt she would be able to attend a baby shower either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She probably couldn't attend the shower but it's the idea that she isn't close enough to this person to even be extended an invitation. There have been instances where people have said, I know you aren't feeling well but I will invote you anyway. My mother isn't eealthy by any means and with her not being able to work, $100 is a stretch. Even though this person makes most of her living by being a traveling hairdresser, I think my mother feels an exaggerated sense of obligation because she has been going to her house for some time.

Last edited:

rays cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she's not going to the baby shower, I'd only give/send a card.

If she would go to the baby shower I'd give a card plus a gift of around 25 dollars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, she was never invited to the shower but she gave $50 anyway. That was still excessive, in my opinion but at least it wasn't $100.