Would You Change Veterinarians?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our vet's office always does a follow-up call, unless our cats are just there for well-check and shots. And if they couldn't fit in one of our cats when in need, I would definitely go somewhere else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've switched to another vet.
Lily will be seeing the new doctor on Saturday for her post-op.

This is after yet another weird conversation with our original vet, where they did not want to see Lily, at least until after all the test results were in. I needed to bring her in for a post-op but they said no at first (I could hear the doctor telling the receptionist what to say) then after I practically had to beg they said they'd set up a "tentative appointment." When I called to cancel, nothing was said and I wasn't asked when I want to reschedule. It's TOO weird.

The surgeon who has been taking care of Lily told me to trust my instincts, just like all of you have said (and thanks for that!). She also told me a couple of things about my vet, she said the things very professionally but let's just say she confirmed my feelings that it was time to find someone else. She recommended 3 doctors so I picked the closest one. It's the same one my best friend takes her kitty to, the ones who called to see how my friend's kitty was after the teeth cleaning.

Thank you, everyone, for the validation!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just reading this. I'm so glad you switched vets. That kind of attitude tells me that they don't really care about their patients. I'm happy that my vet will take emergency cases, even though on a couple of occasions it has caused me to have to wait quite a while for my appointment. I never mind because I know that if I have an emergency, she will take care of it.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would find another vet.

That vet may be good to use for a second opinion.. but honestly if they are so slammed that they cant fit you in for an emergency thing, then I'd go elsewhere.

You can certainly find a good vet who can also make emergency arrangements when needed. I have 2 vets myself.. my "cat" vet, and the "dog" vet. The cat vet is more knowledgeable about cats than other vets around here, and will take ER calls for clients (the nearest ER vet otherwise is over an hour away). My "dog" vet has the vaccine that my dog needs- which is the main reason I take the dog there. My dog has had vaccine reactions before, so Im particular on what type of vaccines he gets.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great that you found another vet. Honestly this is how we switched a few years back. Mom still uses this "other vet" so it gets confusing at times. lol Our new vet has older doctors and I worry it will close. They always have openings. They are so friendly with us and our cats. They remember us too! For Lily

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first moved here where I live now, I changed vets four times in 7 years while trying to find a vet I and my cats liked. It's not just the vet, but the office staff and tech staff too, that has to measure up, but of course the vet is the most important consideration.

Knowledgeable, open minded, continually learning, good "bedside" manner, good communication skills, all very important to me.

And once the clinic I use now finally opened up, I visited each vet in turn before I chose who would be my primary vet.

The place I use now..I've been taking my cats there almost 6 years. In those six years there has been almost no turnover in staff. One front desk person hired new left a few months later, other than that all the front desk people are the same, all the techs are the same.

New ones have been added as the place is very busy, but no one ever leaves. That tells you a LOT about a practice, right there.