Would Travel Be Too Stressful For Mama?

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I work at an animal shelter, and as you all know, it's kitten season. We have TONS of kittens and the number goes up every week (we're the only no-kill shelter in the county, so we rescue a lot of pregnant cats and babies as well as being brought plenty of both). Well, we just got Gracie. She's a gorgeous orange kitty, long haired and super soft, absolute sweetheart. Just a baby herself, can't be older than 7 months, we think. Two girls brought her in, said they found her and wanted to take care of her but didn't realize she was pregnant. They brought her in Thursday or Friday. She went into labor on Saturday.

Well, no babies yet, but we think she's getting close. We sometimes take animals home to keep an eye on them, or to foster them ourselves (lots of bottle babies). I wanted to take Gracie home with me, but I'm not so sure if the drive home (and back to the shelter, if needed-- I'd be taking her in with me then going home with her for however long) would be too stressful on her. I want to help her deliver and be able to be there in case she needs any help or if (Gods forbid, knock on wood) anything goes wrong. But I want her to have the best chances of having a safe delivery and healthy babies.

Should I just leave her at the shelter or risk the travel stress and take her home with me?

Thank you so much ♡

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by being in labor since Saturday?
We believe she's been in labor since Saturday. She seemed very hot (she was all spread out) despite being in a room with air conditioning (I'm not sure pregnant kitties get hot flashes like humans do or not, a few of us believe it's a sign, though). She's begun nesting and we believe she is producing milk at this point. I will check her temperature once I find the thermometer.

As of today, she is much more vocal than usual (well, as much as we can know her "usual" from only having her a few days) and seems restless.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
QuinnsMama QuinnsMama

You should take her home and leave her there. Going back and forth is much too stressful and may interrupt her labor. Once she has the kittens, she will be much calmer sequestered in a room outside of a cage with her babies.

If she's not having stage one contractions, she's not really in labor. She's in pre-labor with being highly uncomfortable and her milk coming in.

She sounds very close to labor though. Taking her to your home is an excellent idea, and hopefully you'll be there when she delivers. Most cats do fine, and some actually wait for their human to be present.

Most folks hope to be home for delivery, but many wake up to find a litter nursing! :)

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
QuinnsMama QuinnsMama

You should take her home and leave her there. Going back and forth is much too stressful and may interrupt her labor. Once she has the kittens, she will be much calmer sequestered in a room outside of a cage with her babies.

If she's not having stage one contractions, she's not really in labor. She's in pre-labor with being highly uncomfortable and her milk coming in.

She sounds very close to labor though. Taking her to your home is an excellent idea, and hopefully you'll be there when she delivers. Most cats do fine, and some actually wait for their human to be present.

Most folks hope to be home for delivery, but many wake up to find a litter nursing! :)
You're right. I'm waiting on the okay from some higher ups on whether or not I can take her (and leave her) at home.

What are contractions like? I've never been present for labor/birth with any of our cats. I thought she had one earlier, saw a little convulsion, turns out she had just sneezed haha.

That's cute! I hope she'd wait for me, but I would understand if she couldn't! As long as her delivery is safe and gives her happy, healthy babies, she's fine by me to go through it without me. Being present would just be a plus :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Contractions look like ripples in a cat's sides. They are far apart initially during stage one, which can last up to 24 hours. Stage two is pushing.

I sure hope you will be allowed to foster this mama at home!

Here are some links you may find helpful:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Also, do not stress the cat by taking a rectal temperature, as temperature is not a reliable indicator of labor. If you must take it, do it under the front leg and add 3 degrees.

Thank you for taking an interest in this kitty! Please let us know what happens. All questions are welcome! :)

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Contractions look like ripples in a cat's sides. They are far apart initially during stage one, which can last up to 24 hours. Stage two is pushing.

I sure hope you will be allowed to foster this mama at home!

Here are some links you may find helpful:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Also, do not stress the cat by taking a rectal temperature, as temperature is not a reliable indicator of labor. If you must take it, do it under the front leg and add 3 degrees.

Thank you for taking an interest in this kitty! Please let us know what happens. All questions are welcome! :)
Sorry for the late reply-- I was able to take her home and yesterday she had six kittens! I stayed up with her for hours, but ultimately, she had them while I was sleeping.

All happy and healthy! They're beautiful ♡

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, this is wonderful to hear. I'm so glad she had them at your home. Mama must feel much more relaxed now that she's out of the cage and the rescue.

We would love to see pictures when you get a chance.

Will you be fostering them for the next 8 weeks? :)

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, this is wonderful to hear. I'm so glad she had them at your home. Mama must feel much more relaxed now that she's out of the cage and the rescue.

We would love to see pictures when you get a chance.

Will you be fostering them for the next 8 weeks? :)
She is in a large collapsible dog cage most of the time. She gets free roaming time to stretch her legs and explore the apartment, but I don't want her moving babies around at night or something, and I'm also shielding her from a few other fosters of mine.

But she's such a good mama! I will post pictures soon :) I'll be fostering Mama and babies for the next 8 weeks, yes. I'm thinking mama kitty may end up a foster failure... I'm sorta talking in love with her! She's a doll!