Would it be ok for my outdoor/indoor cat to be outside for 4 days?

isupposejupiter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, me and my family are having difficulty trying to find the best option for our cat. She means a lot to us and we only want the best for her. She spends most of her time outdoors playing with other cats, and only comes in for food and a small time of rest, so because of this she is very energetic. We don’t really wanna leave her inside because we know she will go crazy and ruin a bunch of our stuff, but we don’t really wanna leave her out because we live in Oregon where it reaches 20° at night, but we also don’t wanna leave her with a pet sitter because we are afraid she won’t get used to the person or just be rude to them. I need advice, our trip won’t be long and if we decide for her to be out, we have family members to come and check and give her food and everything. I’m also certain she won’t run away or get ran over because she’s pretty smart and is very used to the area.
Any advice will help, thanks!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I definitely would not leave her out.. that's how people lose their cats. It's very easy for them to meet an unpleasant fate. She may be used to the outside, but not being locked out. I'm really, really concerned about this option.
The option of leaving her in and have family members who can look after her, that would be good. A sitter would be even better.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to agree with Mani on this one. She might also think you left her if she's locked out.

Most sitters know that cats can be a bit "rude" to new people. They won't be upset.

Can a family member she's familiar with come stay with her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isupposejupiter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely would not leave her out.. that's how people lose their cats. It's very easy for them to meet an unpleasant fate. She may be used to the outside, but not being locked out. I'm really, really concerned about this option.
The option of leaving her in and have family members who can look after her, that would be good. A sitter would be even better.
that’s true… I might ask to let my uncle look after her, thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isupposejupiter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to agree with Mani on this one. She might also think you left her if she's locked out.

Most sitters know that cats can be a bit "rude" to new people. They won't be upset.

Can a family member she's familiar with come stay with her?
Apparently we can’t trust a sitter 🙄😂
I think im gonna ask my uncle to look after her instead…

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think your Uncle coming over to check on her is a good option. Just make sure he knows that she might really want to go outside, and he is able to get in and out of the door without her slipping out. Cats are amazingly fast!
I definitely would not leave her outside.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat sitters are used to rude - just ask the one that watches our three but outside just wouldn't be fair to her. Maybe give her a room to herself and remove things that she might actually destroy (if they are easy to move out). Cats seem to find their own level of comfort when faced with new situations.