Would a freeze dried raw diet (e.g. Stella & Chewy's) be safe for a male cat prone to struvite stones?

viveker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

This is my first time posting here, so apologies if I'm doing this wrong. My question is just what the title says- my 3y/o neutered male cat had a cystotomy about 2 months ago due to struvite stones. This was his first time having a urinary issue, and because he's only 3 (almost 4) I knew I needed to make a change in his diet. He is a VERY picky eater so I've just been trying lots of different canned wet foods and hoping one sticks. This hasn't really worked yet, he has some that he likes but no matter what I do he cannot get off the dry food! I've tried weaning him off of it slowly, but he will cry nonstop until he gets the kibble back.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

bandic00t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My first time here, but not the first time on message boards. You're doing just fine! Have you tried Hill Prescription Diet c/d? Comes in wet or dry. I like to buy the 4lb bags so it stays fairly fresh. It's a little pricey but PeteMyCat has had struvite problems since he was about 2 years old, and Hill's Rx did the trick. On the vet's recommendation he is now 8 and is eating the canned food, but I would keep yours on dry as long as possible, it's better for their teeth. There are other option aside from Hill's as well.
You'll need to ask your vet to authorize a prescription. You can create an account on the Chewy web site (you don't necessarily have to buy anything), click "Prescriptions" under the "Account" pulldown, and enter you vet name or clinic by clicking on "My Vet Clinics", Have your vet call in the first prescription and Chewy pretty much takes care of the rest! My very best to you and your cat 😻
Hi all,

This is my first time posting here, so apologies if I'm doing this wrong. My question is just what the title says- my 3y/o neutered male cat had a cystotomy about 2 months ago due to struvite stones. This was his first time having a urinary issue, and because he's only 3 (almost 4) I knew I needed to make a change in his diet. He is a VERY picky eater so I've just been trying lots of different canned wet foods and hoping one sticks. This hasn't really worked yet, he has some that he likes but no matter what I do he cannot get off the dry food! I've tried weaning him off of it slowly, but he will cry nonstop until he gets the kibble back.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So you're looking to feed him the freeze dried UNrehydrated? It is safe to feed it that way, but no guarantees that he won't get stones on it, since stones can result from stress as well as food. And if you do feed it that way, you need to make sure he drinks a LOT of water, as hydration is so important. Below is article that might help with that.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

No.

Commercial raw is always higher in Phosphorus and Mg.

The best way to reduce significant crystal build up is good hydration (water and wet food) and food with somewhat lower phosphorus levels. (Adult, Sr., Urinary health)

I mix wet with dry and call it a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

viveker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So you're looking to feed him the freeze dried UNrehydrated? It is safe to feed it that way, but no guarantees that he won't get stones on it, since stones can result from stress as well as food. And if you do feed it that way, you need to make sure he drinks a LOT of water, as hydration is so important. Below is article that might help with that.

Sorry, I probably should have clarified that I would be rehydrating the food. His water intake is excellent right now, we have two water fountains, one is in my room and he takes long drinks from it 4+ times a day. Thank you for the article!