Worried about blood test results

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, my 2 year old persian male has been on steroids for his skin problems for about a year now (food trials etc haven’t worked) so I booked him in for bloods to check the meds weren’t having a detrimental effect.

The results came back today and he has a few results outside of the normal range (attached the screenshot - in red). The vet seemed most concerned about his urea levels (10.5) and wants a urine sample. He didn’t give anything away but upon googling now I’m absolutely terrified it’s kidney failure.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge I would really appreciate it. The vet won’t tell me anything and Google is my worst enemy. Thanks so much

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update - somehow managed to get a urine sample last night! It looks quite dark but the vet did ask if he could’ve been dehydrated when he had the bloods taken, which he may well have been as he had diarrhoea (I think from a change in diet) that day. Keeping everything crossed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update - the vet just called and said his urine sample was fine and his kidneys are functioning normally - yay! He said he is dehydrated which is what caused the high urea levels and has advised we add water to his food or get a water fountain haha.

I would love to know what they check for in the urinalysis/how it rules out kidney problems. Does anyone know?