Worm Problem

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats that have access to the house during the day but sleep outside in a shed at night. I noticed a couple of half inch long, thin, cream colored worms on the rear end of one of the cats and one worm on another. The cats seem healthy - good appetites and frisky. I don't monitor a litter box as they always poop out in a field/woods.
(1) Hoping someone can diagnose what types of worms they are
(2) Is there a good non-prescription, over-the-counter de-wormer that I could try? One of the cats is pretty wild so I'd have to mix it with food rather than attempt putting a solution on it's back.
Thanks!

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately because your cats live outside and are likely eating many wild parasite infested animals at night they likely will always have worms/fleas unless they are brought inside permanently. The most typical worm cats have are tapeworms or round worms but unless you bring a poop sample to the vet from all three cats it’s impossible to know what they have. I’m not sure where you live, but beyer has a pill tapewormer you can buy from Petco. There’s also a liquid type you deliver in their food or mouth called homeopet or the vet will prescribe drontal which is a broad spectrum and the best and probably what they need.
Even though they seem healthy they need treated because worms can cause all types of issues. Digestive problems, anemia, and ultimately early death. And as long as they stay outside for most of their life this will be a constant problem. I understand not every cat can be acclimated to indoor life but when you’re dealing with outdoor cats these are expected problems.
One more thing please assure these cats are spayed and neutered before you let them outside again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks cheesycats. Might this product be good? It has 20 mg of praziquantel and 230 mg of pyrantel.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It will only treat round and tape worms. May not treat what your seeing with your cats. Tape worms look like small grains of rice. Round worms are long, pointy at the ends and quite nasty looking.