World Record Holders as Oldest Cat, and a satisfying photo

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to wiki, the oldest cat to ever live was Lucy, UK, Gray DSH, 39 years (1972-2011), followed by Crème Puff, US, tabby, 38 years, 3 days.

Not quite so old, but nevertheless notable, was Rubble, a male Maine Coon. Seeing this photo, I felt a deep satisfaction that the adorable kitten lived to a ripe old age. I use the phrase “deep satisfaction” out of embarrassment, not wishing to admit I was actually moved.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to wiki, the oldest cat to ever live was Lucy, UK, Gray DSH, 39 years (1972-2011), followed by Crème Puff, US, tabby, 38 years, 3 days.

Not quite so old, but nevertheless notable, was Rubble, a male Maine Coon. Seeing this photo, I felt a deep satisfaction that the adorable kitten lived to a ripe old age. I use the phrase “deep satisfaction” out of embarrassment, not wishing to admit I was actually moved.

S'aright, dude. The strongest, best men are those with empathy, compassion, caring, and the ability to be moved...and admit it. ;)Don't let anyone tell you different.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, WHAT keeps a cat alive and healthy for so long?

We know what the factors are for humans. Netflix is doing a series on human longevity. The term "blue zone" is now being used to describe the location and conditions centenarians (persons living to 100) live in.

So how can we help out pets?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rubble had been with 52-year-old owner Michele Heritage since she got him as a kitten on her 20th birthday.
Michele puts Rubble's longevity down to the fact she never had her own children and pampered him like a child.
"He was an amazing companion that I had the pleasure to live with for such a long time."
Michele

Edit: Just adding that I am sure she gained as many extra years in her own life out of the relastionship as he did in his.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

We know what the factors are for humans. Netflix is doing a series on human longevity. The term "blue zone" is now being used to describe the location and conditions centenarians (persons living to 100) live in.

So how can we help out pets?
Part of it is genetics. We can't control that part.

Yearly checkups to catch anything that pops up helps.

I've had childhood cats on trash diets live to 25 and Nobel was on high quality and passed at 17. (Mind you he lived the longest out of all his siblings AND they all had major health issues. A couple didn't make it to 5.)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of it is genetics. We can't control that part.

Yearly checkups to catch anything that pops up helps.

I've had childhood cats on trash diets live to 25 and Nobel was on high quality and passed at 17. (Mind you he lived the longest out of all his siblings AND they all had major health issues. A couple didn't make it to 5.)
Yeah. I've lost kittens, and had one elder statesman live to 21. The reasons are many and complex, just like they are with humans. My father had 5 siblings and one died; my mom had 3, and one died. Etc., etc., etc.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is impressive. The pet store where we buy some things (kitty litter, dry ration for the cats in front of our building, etc.) has a cat that is 19 years old. She is deaf and somewhat underweight, but otherwise healthy. A tortoiseshell that is more brown than black, her pattern combines with her dignified bearing to really get attention

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is impressive. The pet store where we buy some things (kitty litter, dry ration for the cats in front of our building, etc.) has a cat that is 19 years old. She is deaf and somewhat underweight, but otherwise healthy. A tortoiseshell that is more brown than black, her pattern combines with her dignified bearing to really get attention
Yeah, the tortis are very showy and sparkly! I never really thought about a tortoiseshell until I needed to adopt and a friend who did rescue/adoption recommended one to me. I went to meet her at the Petco she worked out of, and she was a bit older than I'd been thinking about, at 11 months (we had lost a beloved kitten to wet-form FIP at just short of 3 months) and I wasn't sure, but I knew she needed a loving permanent home, and she'd been recommended as being very social and amenable, so I signed the papers and brought her home. We had 17 years of pure, unconditional loyalty and love -- and Tarifa never met anyone she didn't like. She was a joy from the very first moment and every one thereafter. We miss her so very much.
IMG_0836.JPG