Working on menu for Christmas dinner

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly what's going on yet; I can never remember if the kids are coming to us on Christmas or if it's that Saturday. We'll find out more over the weekend when we go down there. So if they're coming on Christmas Day, we'll have our dinner then. If it's on Saturday, I think I'm going to have a holiday brunch for us on Christmas Day. Rick's parents will be here either way (and then again on Saturday) and my brother and SIL will be here both days, too. Whatever day we have dinner, my sister and BIL will come for dessert (she loves the coconut cake as much as I do and, in fact, she called me last night to see if I had ordered it yet....I did.). I know she's doing her own dinner on Christmas as all her kids are coming home then. If we have dinner on Saturday, I wouldn't be surprised if my sister and BIL have dinner with us, too.

Anyway, I'm working on a tentative menu for our dinner. I've ordered the crown roast from the butcher and a 10-inch two-layer white coconut cake with lemon curd filling from our bakery/restaurant.

Stuffed Crown Roast of Pork (with Crock Pot Stuffing and then the gravy)

Relish Tray

Delmonico Potatoes

Sagaponek Corn Pudding

Asparagus with Leeks (OR) Green Beans with Bacon and Pecans (something new that I think everybody would like)

Creamed Onions

Sweet Potatoes (chunked. not mashed, with dried apricots and cranberries and topped with maple syrup and granola)

Mandarin Orange and Pecan Salad

Cranberry Relish 

THE White Coconut Cake 

Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake (OR) White Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake (Rick has yet to decide which one he wants)

Tray of Assorted Cookies (that I haven't made yet!)

Almond Brittle and Spicy Pecans

Sparkling Punch (something new with orange and lemon slices and sparkling apple cider that I'm hoping everybody will like)

Unsweetened Iced Tea and Coffee

Will let the wine up to my brother and SIL who always seem to find the perfect wine for anything

And now I'm getting excited about Christmas. Finally. I posted in the decorating thread that I'm really ready to start decorating now....just need some cat-friendly ideas. I need to start baking, too; all those snickerdoodles and gingersnaps kind of baked me out, but I'm ready for baking cookies again.

I may need to figure out something for a brunch on Christmas, so may work on that a bit tonight. I like to have everything planned out, so there are no surprises!

What are you doing for Christmas? I know many of you are staying home. Have you figured out your dinners yet? Dinner will be at 4:00.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother has some things planned.  I'll be honest; I'd be happy with a simple lasagna or something like that.  We aren't expecting the crowd we had for Thanksgiving.  I'm glad.  I haven't finished decorating yet or anything and Christmas is 2 weeks from today!  I think I will do simple side dishes.  Maybe I'll do a pie; but I'm not sure at this point.  DH is asking for a Pumpkin Chocolate chip cake for now.  I have no desire to bake anything!  

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm not sure exactly what's going on yet; I can never remember if the kids are coming to us on Christmas or if it's that Saturday. We'll find out more over the weekend when we go down there. So if they're coming on Christmas Day, we'll have our dinner then. If it's on Saturday, I think I'm going to have a holiday brunch for us on Christmas Day. Rick's parents will be here either way (and then again on Saturday) and my brother and SIL will be here both days, too. Whatever day we have dinner, my sister and BIL will come for dessert (she loves the coconut cake as much as I do and, in fact, she called me last night to see if I had ordered it yet....I did.). I know she's doing her own dinner on Christmas as all her kids are coming home then. If we have dinner on Saturday, I wouldn't be surprised if my sister and BIL have dinner with us, too.

Anyway, I'm working on a tentative menu for our dinner. I've ordered the crown roast from the butcher and a 10-inch two-layer white coconut cake with lemon curd filling from our bakery/restaurant.

Stuffed Crown Roast of Pork (with Crock Pot Stuffing and then the gravy)

Relish Tray

Delmonico Potatoes

Sagaponek Corn Pudding

Asparagus with Leeks (OR) Green Beans with Bacon and Pecans (something new that I think everybody would like)

Creamed Onions

Sweet Potatoes (chunked. not mashed, with dried apricots and cranberries and topped with maple syrup and granola)

Mandarin Orange and Pecan Salad

Cranberry Relish 

THE White Coconut Cake 

Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake (OR) White Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake (Rick has yet to decide which one he wants)

Tray of Assorted Cookies (that I haven't made yet!)

Almond Brittle and Spicy Pecans

Sparkling Punch (something new with orange and lemon slices and sparkling apple cider that I'm hoping everybody will like)

Unsweetened Iced Tea and Coffee

Will let the wine up to my brother and SIL who always seem to find the perfect wine for anything

And now I'm getting excited about Christmas. Finally. I posted in the decorating thread that I'm really ready to start decorating now....just need some cat-friendly ideas. I need to start baking, too; all those snickerdoodles and gingersnaps kind of baked me out, but I'm ready for baking cookies again.

I may need to figure out something for a brunch on Christmas, so may work on that a bit tonight. I like to have everything planned out, so there are no surprises!

What are you doing for Christmas? I know many of you are staying home. Have you figured out your dinners yet? Dinner will be at 4:00.
Sounds delicious!  And crown roasts are so pretty.  So far, the only thing on my menu for sure is a spiral ham.  I may do a cheese tray, now that you've got me thinking about a game plan.  I love cheese.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We talked to the kids last night after the school Christmas play. They're coming up on Sunday for Christmas. That will work. But I have to change the cake delivery from Wednesday to Friday so that it's not sitting around for several days. (Not that it would with both my sister and me in the house, which is dangerous enough in itself.)

And Rick said he really, really wants a peanut butter pie now instead of a cheesecake. So I'll throw a couple pies together and that will work.

Mmmm, cheese tray. I love cheese, too.

You know, I've never made a lasagna for Christmas. I know lots of people who make them for their Christmas dinner and I've thought about it. But the crown roast wins out. I may say something to Rick....since the kids aren't coming til Sunday, we could have lasagna on Christmas!! I could make the Mandarin Orange and Pecan Salad then instead of Sunday, and make a loaf of home made bread to go with it. And all I need do is get a Dutch apple pie out of the freezer (I have two of them) and serve it with a bit of ice cream. You know, that would work! I can make the lasagna ahead of time, too. Now how easy is that? Thanks!

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Winchester, Can we all come to  your house for Christmas? Our big Christmas is at my MIL on Christmas Eve. She does not know how to cook. We are doing dinner out for the whole family this year at the local country club. (My FIL is going through some medical issues right now and she does not have time to decorate her home and wants to do something different) Our Christmas with our children is Christmas mid morning brunch. Our children are going to college and work part time so they have to work holidays and late shifts. I usually do:

French Toast (local bakery does a fabulous French Brioche Cinnamon Bread)

Pancakes or Waffles

Sausage and Bacon (local butcher)

Muffins, last year my daughter made a desert glassed mini waffle

Fresh Fruit

Juice/Coffee/Milk

They can't stay all day because they have to go to work. So no mimosas for them!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh this thread has me drooling and brings back so many lovely memories of Christmas past!

Growing up, we always went to my Dad's folks (my grandparents) for holidays.  My Mum was from England, her family was there so no option for holidays.  Since Dad's side is Sicilian, all the family would gather and the aunts (and my Mum) all made loads of things, the table was always groaning it was so full.  We'd be 17 to 22 for meals, depending on one family of 5 (they were the only ones who had to alternate with another set of grandparents). 

Just now my life is in a different chapter.  Mum passed 20 years back, Dad is in a nursing home.  As I've never married nor had children, it is just me.   I do join Dad for special meals at the home.  Thanksgiving they had us in for dinner at noon, with a traditional spread.  For Christmas, as so many staffer want to be with their families, the home does a special meal earlier in the month.  For Dad's wing, our Christmas dinner is on the 18th at noon, so I will go for that.  On Christmas Ever this year I've been invited to an Open House at a good friend's home, so that will be new and different!

We always had cultural foods, so I can't say as we ever had a crown roast.  Two aunts regularly received  a turkey from their employers, we'd have one at Thanksgiving the other at Christmas.  There was always a huge salad, many pans of lasagna, and cookies and pies galore.  Christmas Eve we celebrate with the Feast of the Seven Fishes, which I used to do on my own, and for a few years I also took Dad to a restaurant which offered this special meal.  

Enjoy your families and your traditions, the memories will stay with you and also get passed on to the next generation!

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kid cooking this year (with help). I got fed up with everyone opening presents then settling down with treats and presents while I cleaned up and spent the rest of the day in the kitchen and put my foot down. He hasn't decided on the menu yet. There is a familial dilemma happening about the traditional turkey. We are willing to have something else, but then there is no turkey or cranberry port sauce for sandwiches and that is the best part. There's just the three of us so there are lots of leftovers from the Eve and the Day itself which means cooking a turkey on Boxing is out + there wouldn't be room in the fridge. How can you not have real turkey sandwiches after Christmas? And it has to be after Christmas, not New Year's.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother and I have finally decided on a main course.  Sort of.  She is either making a lasagna or stuffed shells.  Half with meat half spinach.  I think I may do some meatballs on the side too.  I was thinking I could cook them in sauce (I've never done this) so they stay tender.  I'm going to look around for a veggie side dish.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

My mother and I have finally decided on a main course.  Sort of.  She is either making a lasagna or stuffed shells.  Half with meat half spinach.  I think I may do some meatballs on the side too.  I was thinking I could cook them in sauce (I've never done this) so they stay tender.  I'm going to look around for a veggie side dish.  
Use your crock pot, Mooch! Make your sauce, throw the meatballs in, and put it all in the crock pot. About four hours or so should do it, esp if you're using store-bought meatballs. If you're making your own, brown them well, like you normally would, but you can still use your crock pot afterward. Or, if you want, you can make your meatballs early, brown them, and then get them into the fridge. The day of, take them out, add your sauce, and then put everything in the crock pot on Low for several hours. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think I've figured out what I need to cook for the holidays.

Christmas Eve Day - I have a friend come over to wrap her gifts. We eat, drink and wrap. She requested I make reuben dip and clam dip. I'm also going to try a recipe for sausage and hash brown balls that I found. I am also making a buffalo chicken lasagna just because I saw the recipe and it sounded good. :lol3: I can always freeze the leftovers.

Christmas Eve night - chicken Caesar pasta salad and a plate of goodies

Christmas Day - chocolate turtle cake, chocolate chip cookies and if the sausage and hash brown balls come out OK, I'll bring some of those too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Use your crock pot, Mooch! Make your sauce, throw the meatballs in, and put it all in the crock pot. About four hours or so should do it, esp if you're using store-bought meatballs. If you're making your own, brown them well, like you normally would, but you can still use your crock pot afterward. Or, if you want, you can make your meatballs early, brown them, and then get them into the fridge. The day of, take them out, add your sauce, and then put everything in the crock pot on Low for several hours. 
I think I will be using it to at least keep them warm for dinner.  It just makes things simpler.  And if the kids want something later (they never stay full long) they can have meatball sandwiches or something.  
 I always bake my meatballs in the oven.  They are good; but not the same texture as my Grandmother's.  I'm going to do a mixture of pork and beef.  That helps!
I think I've figured out what I need to cook for the holidays.

Christmas Eve Day - I have a friend come over to wrap her gifts. We eat, drink and wrap. She requested I make reuben dip and clam dip. I'm also going to try a recipe for sausage and hash brown balls that I found. I am also making a buffalo chicken lasagna just because I saw the recipe and it sounded good.
I can always freeze the leftovers.

Christmas Eve night - chicken Caesar pasta salad and a plate of goodies

Christmas Day - chocolate turtle cake, chocolate chip cookies and if the sausage and hash brown balls come out OK, I'll bring some of those too.
Eat, drink and wrap.  I used to do something along those lines back in the pre-kid days before one of my good friends was married too.  She'd fall asleep on my couch and talk in her sleep while I made pies after. 
  (She always did that; wine or no wine!
)

Buffalo chicken lasagna is amazing!  My Mom makes one.  It also works well as a ziti style recipe.  Mom has done that for potlucks because it takes less time to prepare.  Does your recipe have blue cheese?  I can't find my copy of hers.  I may have filed it wrong.

I am making Sausage Cheese balls.  The lady who runs the nursery just LOVES them so whenever I make them I do extra to send her some.  I could eat just those for dinner myself. 
  I also send cookies to the kid's teachers at church and our pastor and his family (they are Jonah's Godparents too).