Won't Eat and constipated, weepy eyes, two vet trips so far. HELP!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had the odd grinding sound occur as well, I basically just wait it out til he's gotten it worked out and swallowed, and carry on :)

Senpai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a somewhat similar experience, 2 vet trips and over 1k in they did their checks and an xray saying it was constipation. He wasn't doing any better after using the meds.

It wasn't until I took him to the ER and had an ultrasound done - they found a blockage that had to be surgically removed (he broke off a rubber grip at the bottom of one of his toys and had swallowed it)

He was never constipated, he was holding it in on purpose to retain moisture.

I hope things work out for you and your little buddy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artyldr01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I took him back to his normal vet on Friday sure that he needed another enema but when they x-rayed him he is completely clear. So now he just is not eating. They gave him anti-naseau/appetite medicine. He does show interest in food mainly human food Lee human food but he just doesn't eat it.. I still think his teeth hurt but Continue to surrender feed him with sheep which he is very grumpy about about but all in all he appears to be happier and stronger than he has been. It is concerning that he now weighs 9 pounds when he used to weigh 18.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has the vet said anything about his teeth?

In your first post you said he weighed 13 pounds, now your saying he weighs 9?

It is extremely concerning that he's lost that much weight.
Can you find a different vet?
I hope that you'll figure out a way to feed him a lot more calories. Try unseasoned boiled chicken with a little unseasoned white rice, many vets suggest to do this and since you're hand feeding him it doesn't matter whether he likes it or not, so get some kitten food and feed him that for the extra calories.

artyldr01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has the vet said anything about his teeth?

In your first post you said he weighed 13 pounds, now your saying he weighs 9?

It is extremely concerning that he's lost that much weight.
Can you find a different vet?
I hope that you'll figure out a way to feed him a lot more calories. Try unseasoned boiled chicken with a little unseasoned white rice, many vets suggest to do this and since you're hand feeding him it doesn't matter whether he likes it or not, so get some kitten food and feed him that for the extra calories.
They've given him antibiotics for mild gingivitis. I will definitely try your food ideas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Baby food meat - Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut. Depending on which one you get, a 2.5 oz jar can be as much as 90 calories. He may actually eat these on his own.

There are also ways to make these baby food meats nutritionally complete, if you find that they become the primary food source. For now, just get him eating again and worry about the 'completeness' later.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again, how are things?
I noticed something about that grinding noise when Poppycat's getting handfed, -- he seems to be motivated to do that when the food ends up in one side of his mouth. (The food of course is a pate/ mousse style so certainly doesn't need to be chewed in any way). I usually try to distract him from doing it by touching his cheek or jaw, since I don't need dental issues in addition .

I did see on felinecrf .org that there was a mention of teeth grinding and something called "rubber jaw", which is a symptom or side effect, so to speak of an imbalance in the cat's system from kidney disease.

Last edited:

artyldr01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well...the saga continues. He on rare occasion will eat on his own, typically his Temptation catnip/shrimp treats, but not much else. We bought the freeze dried all natural protein food and other high protein food thst we are feeding him. He also is still not pooping but I don't think we are feeding him enough to make him poop, but am concerned if there is something "mechanical" keeping him from pooping. We give him a stool softener daily. He wakes up and drinks water and pees. He loves to lie in the sun and purr. He is a little grumpy when we pick him up which makes me think he has a tummy ache but we are on vacation with him in a different environment. He may also be, becoming constipated again as well...I just don't know. The labs were all relatively normal, some anomalies but no "smoking guns."

My biggest question worry is whether I am feeding him not enough, or if he is having constipation issues, am I feeding him too much?

Ultimately he is pretty content and is plenty mobile when he wants to be. He loves wandering around the yard, lying under bushes or in the sun.

It is excruciating.