Woke up to find vomit?

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning,

When I woke up to feed my 1 year old cat I noticed vomit on the floor next to his cat bed. Well I'm not sure I'd say it was vomit it looked more like his hair (Persian) mixed with his food. There was no blood. He seemed thirsty so I gave him some water from his favorite canned food and also gave him small amounts of dry food because he seemed hungry. I also saw him drinking from his water bowl he usually doesnt drink from there. Around 1/2 hour later at his usual time he urinated and had a bowel movement (normal). He seems fine normal energy. What is your advice on what I should do? Thanks!

Warning * added photo

Attachments

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could well be a hairball, or part of one, from the photo it looks like regurgitated food with a possible hairball top left.. They don't always pass right through. Just keep an eye on him incase it happens again.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, are you brushing him on a regular basis. I have discovered that my guy needs to be brushed almost daily. This year, he is shedding so much.

This could be a pre-furball vomit.. I mean, it looks like undigested food, mixed with fur. Not in a log shape, but newly ingested fur.

Just be prepared for a real furball vomit.

If vomiting continues, I would call your vet.

If furballs, you can either try some hairball food, or some laxatone--- helps move the fur out the other end.
I went through this with Geoffrey, this summer. I had to switch his food and use laxatone; per vets orders.

Not diagnosign, just suggestions rom my own experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, are you brushing him on a regular basis. I have discovered that my guy needs to be brushed almost daily. This year, he is shedding so much.

This could be a pre-furball vomit.. I mean, it looks like undigested food, mixed with fur. Not in a log shape, but newly ingested fur.

Just be prepared for a real furball vomit.

If vomiting continues, I would call your vet.

If furballs, you can either try some hairball food, or some laxatone--- helps move the fur out the other end.
I went through this with Geoffrey, this summer. I had to switch his food and use laxatone; per vets orders.

Not diagnosign, just suggestions rom my own experience.
Thank you for responding! I actually get him shaved every 3 months because he hates being groomed hes a very scared cat since he was small and will literally stop eating when hes stressed so I try not to do things that will stress him out. Right now his fur is long because corona stuff was closed but hes going to the vet next week to get shaved while being sedated. He never vomits. However since I've had him I've seen him throw up two hair balls. I've seen laxatone in stores I'm going to buy it today thanks! I'm just worried because he also threw up food but I'll keep an eye on him.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could well be a hairball, or part of one, from the photo it looks like regurgitated food with a possible hairball top left.. They don't always pass right through. Just keep an eye on him incase it happens again.
Yes this is gross but I wore gloves and actually went through it so I can see what it was and there was very clearly pieces of hair. If it happens again today should I take him to the vet?

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great advice thank you. Just an update he has not vomitted yet since yesterday morning and had a bowel movement this morning.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not unless she stops eating and drinking or cant poop. It happens to my cat and I put a small pea size blob of Vasaline on her nose to lick off, it will help her pass the hairball.
Oh vaseline I didnt know cats can eat that thanks for the tip!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldnt use it on a regular basis and try to use original. I have given it twice over two days and it has worked every time. I got the tip from another member thats why its such a good site.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is a once in a while thing then the food was puked up with the hairball. I have 4 cats and see this sometimes in my household. All my cats thankfully enjoy being brushed. I brush them more when I see this happen and then it stops for quite a while. If the frequency of the vomiting increases or the appetite/ drinking water decreases then I would do a vet visit. If the frequency of the vomiting suddenly increases then a vet visit is needed. Starbuck was treated for the kitty stomach flu once with injected nausea meds. She puked small amounts of food a couple times and then puked bile so I took her to the vet for treatment. Apollo puked up a couple hairballs and then repeatedly puked up food. He kept on eating and vomiting so he went to the vet and was also given an injection for nausea. Apollo was treated for a tummy ache caused by the hairballs. After the nausea meds both cats stopped vomiting and went back to their normal habits. Apollo is a bit odd with this because it is not normal for cats to want to eat when they are dealing with bad nausea. His behavior was a bit of a surprise to the vet. My cats are not long hair cats. I do brush them because they enjoy it. I increased the brushing if someone pukes up a hair ball and the problem goes away.