Wipes

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a natural, safe wipe to use on my kitties, primarily, their bottoms, for daily use (per advice of our veterinarian, to try to prevent future UTI's). I've come up with two possibilities of wipes that look reasonably healthy and free of harmful chemicals. I wanted to get input to see if there are any ingredients on either product which should raise a red flag. Thanks for any advice you all can give. :)

Amazon.com

Ingredients: Deionized water, sodium cocoyl hydrolyzed soy protein, oryza sativa (rice) extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), persea gratizzma (avocado) oil, potassium sorbate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice (aloe vera), hedychium coronarium (awapuhi) root extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, panax ginseng root extract, citric acid, phenoxyethanol.

Amazon.com

Ingredients: 99% Pure NZ Purified Water, MG650+ Manuka Honey, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've always thought, for the most part anyway, that the fewer the ingredients the better :)

I have a couple of questions;
Do you have numerous water bowls/pet fountains scattered around and cleaned frequently (daily)? Do you utilize filtered water? Do you sift out the litterboxes at least once a day, and give the boxes themselves a sanitizing cleaning, or replacement fairly frequently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think the fewer ingredients the better, too.

I have two bowls of water out, which gets replaced twice a day, with bottled water (Dasani, the same water that my husband and I drink). I don't clean their water bowls daily. I do switch the water bowls twice a week. Both cats seem to do a good job of drinking water. I scoop their littler box twice a day, and, change out the litter once a month. I sanitize the box once a month with hydrogen peroxide when I switch out the litter.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
The links aren’t working to show specific products for me (maybe because I’m in Canada and it redirects weird sometimes) but I have used Glandex rear end “boot the scoot” wipes occasionally on my cats bums for years now with no issue. I get them on Amazon but I’ve seen their products sold at my vet too so I assume they are a good brand.

Last edited:

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The links aren’t working to show specific products for me (maybe because I’m in Canada and it redirects weird sometimes) but I have used Glandex rear end “boot the scoot” wipes occasionally on my cats bums for years now with no issue. I get them on Amazon but I’ve seen their products sold at my vet too so I assume they are a good brand.

Thank you. I will check that brand out. :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
N Nicole S I haven't used these wipes but I would be interested to see if you think they help. It's always good to know these things for future reference! :)

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
N Nicole S I haven't used these wipes but I would be interested to see if you think they help. It's always good to know these things for future reference! :)
I ended up ordering these two brands of wipes from Amazon. If I don't like them, I'll just plan on using warm water on a paper towel, instead. :)

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't use anything with Aloe Vera in it on my cats. It is toxic to cats (not pure gel but other ingredients and I worry about contamination).

Being a woman I also know that using products with things like aloe and chamomile should not be used on the genitals. I would assume the same for cats.

For Nobel, I used paper towel and boiled water that was left to cool. Then I dipped the paper towel in that now-cooled water and would wipe him with that. Like you mentioned in your comment above, that is safest.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't use anything with Aloe Vera in it on my cats. It is toxic to cats (not pure gel but other ingredients and I worry about contamination).

Being a woman I also know that using products with things like aloe and chamomile should not be used on the genitals. I would assume the same for cats.

For Nobel, I used paper towel and boiled water that was left to cool. Then I dipped the paper towel in that now-cooled water and would wipe him with that. Like you mentioned in your comment above, that is safest.
Yes, I've always been nervous about using anything with aloe on my kitties. I will probably return the wipes containing aloe. I like that the other wipes contain manuka honey because of its antimicrobial properties. I wish that soy was not used in the wipes. I could try to make my own wipes using manuka honey. But, I would have no idea what I could mix with the honey to keep it from being sticky. I definitely don't want my cats to have sticky bottoms. :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I've always been nervous about using anything with aloe on my kitties. I will probably return the wipes containing aloe. I like that the other wipes contain manuka honey because of its antimicrobial properties. I wish that soy was not used in the wipes. I could try to make my own wipes using manuka honey. But, I would have no idea what I could mix with the honey to keep it from being sticky. I definitely don't want my cats to have sticky bottoms. :)
I don't think we should be putting any food products or extracts anything on a cat's genitals.

Keeping the area clean if they are not cleaning themselves very well should limit the bacteria in the area.

There are many other ways to prevent urinary issues including infections in cats
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals
- Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think we should be putting any food products or extracts anything on a cat's genitals.

Keeping the area clean if they are not cleaning themselves very well should limit the bacteria in the area.

There are many other ways to prevent urinary issues including infections in cats
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals
- Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care
I wouldn't usually put food products on the private area of my cats, either. And, I will only use the wipes that I have ordered which has some manuka honey on it. But, manuka honey is well known for its antimicrobial properties, and, it used by doctors to help with wounds which have been resistant to other treatments.

Yes, it's my goal to try to help my cats keep that area more bacteria free, if I can. They are both 14 years old and my veterinarian guesses they are getting more UTI's because they may not be grooming that area as much as they used to, due to their age. They are both quite active for their age, and, seem to groom regularly. But, I suppose it could be that they groom their bottoms less than they used to. I am hoping that the daily wiping will eliminate as much bacteria as possible, and, head off more UTI's. I've tried several things to prevent the UTI's. They don't tolerate D Mannose as if gives them diarrhea. They are well hydrated. So, maybe daily wiping will be the key to get rid of this problem.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't want to do something that upsets the natural balance either. There are also good bacterias all over our bodies and on cats bodies too.

Check out the link I posted. There's loads of good tips on this website too I you search up UTIs.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't want to do something that upsets the natural balance either. There are also good bacterias all over our bodies and on cats bodies too.

Check out the link I posted. There's loads of good tips on this website too I you search up UTIs.
Yes, I don't want to do anything to upset a healthy flora. I checked out the two links you included, but, saw no tips for prevention. I will look at the sites more later. To tell the truth, my veterinarian suggested using the same type of wipes for my cats which humans use. But, I do everything I can to avoid excess and toxic chemicals on my own body. And, I do the same with my cats. I do all that I can to find the simplest, most natural, effective and healthy food and products for my cats. So, there's no way I'd use a Cottonelle wipe on my cats. :p

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you scroll down on the second link you'll find further links for prevention. I believe the link is specifically for FIC, but the same preventative apply.

Other avenues not listed through links on that second website are glucosamine supplements and using clay and pine free litter with low dust.

That's an interesting article on prevent for humans. Thanks for sharing. I am really interested in the amount of "home remedies" and indigenous remedies that are been scientifically studied lately.