Will some vets refuse to treat cats that don't have their rabies vaccine?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Moving from a state that didn't require vaccines. I have two cats. They both got rabies and other vaccines when they were kittens, but I never followed up with it. They're now both 5 years old. In Philly, they're required by law, but will some vets refuse to contact and administer the vaccines to my cats because they're super late on their vaccines? If so what can I do?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume it won't be a problem since that's what vet's do. You can always call

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Take them in and get them a Rabies shot. This will also help you to have an established vet in case of an emergency.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you were refusing to vaccinate them for rabies then possibly, I could see a vet refusing because cat bites during exams aren’t uncommon, but I can’t imagine a vet refusing someone who said they wanted to get their cats vaccinated! Especially since people bring cats with unknown histories into the vet all the time, like strays that become pets.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rabies is required in Texas, but my cats haven't been vaccinated since they got their kitten shots and first rabies shot. They're 6, 10, and 11. My vet doesn't advise vaccinating kitties that are not fully healthy and 2 of my crew have asthma. My vet says pets are overvaccinated and that if there's a rabies outbreak we'd do a titer to see if they need a rabies shot.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you could just set a visit up with a vet to get their shots all caught up etc, other than that i think most vets would refuse to see your cats cause who wants to get bit and possibly rabies