Will she be in labour soon?

staceymaria29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens last year but they were all born in the sac and unfortunately didn't make it, she did have one which seemed to be doing okay but passed away the next day,

Shes pregnant again, and I've been closely monitoring her, and ive set her up in my bedroom with an enclosure and blankets, towels, a litter box, food and water,
2 days ago I noticed something which I believe was her mucus plug and it has been coming out in various sized pieces, and she's also been licking her teat area aggressively and been licking her genitals abit more, she is also slightly unsettled, more vocal and very needy and clingy with me... but she is also more agressive towards my much younger male cat so I'm keeping them apart during bedtime... and she also isn't going outside... do you think this is something to worry about?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat had kittens last year but they were all born in the sac and unfortunately didn't make it, she did have one which seemed to be doing okay but passed away the next day,

Shes pregnant again, and I've been closely monitoring her, and ive set her up in my bedroom with an enclosure and blankets, towels, a litter box, food and water,
2 days ago I noticed something which I believe was her mucus plug and it has been coming out in various sized pieces, and she's also been licking her teat area aggressively and been licking her genitals abit more, she is also slightly unsettled, more vocal and very needy and clingy with me... but she is also more agressive towards my much younger male cat so I'm keeping them apart during bedtime... and she also isn't going outside... do you think this is something to worry about?
I think and hope its natural, nearing... She may also have Braxton Hicks contractions, causing her pains, and thus less patient with the other cat...
Dont let her out now... And if she doesnt want the other cat nearby, do keep them separate... Momma must be kept stress free as far as possible.

IF she wishes him nearby, you may let him in, he may even help her.... Some males do.

Is he neutered? If not there is some danger he may make her preg anew... Cats arent protected by nursing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

staceymaria29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat is still only very young, less than a year and he has never tried to mate with her; even when she was in heat,
I do want her to have her kittens in my bedroom, as I also have a 4 year old son, and my male cat, I want her to be as relaxed as possible with how the last labour went I want to be alot more cautious and can intervene IF I need to.
And with her last labour and this one, she is very clingy with me and affectionate and just seems to want alot more support & comfort... I have attached some photos of what I do believe to be her mucus plug.. although I may be mistaken.
Screenshot_20230919_203340_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20230919_203346_WhatsApp.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Quite much mucus plug but prob plug. If the male is almost a year he is prob fully fertile unless longhair. Longhairs mature somewhat later.;

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes do not let her outside at all. She could take off to have the kittens. Are you planning on spaying/neutering everyone after this litter, including momma and kittens.
Spay/neuter is not only to prevent pregnancies but for health reasons. I provided a few links that you can check out to learn the health benefits of apaying/neutering of cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

staceymaria29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also know that spaying and neutering has a lot of other benefits and can prevent against behaviour & health conditions...
I was planning on getting her done but then I found out she was pregnant so couldn't do it, once she has this litter they are all being spayed and neutered 🥰

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also know that spaying and neutering has a lot of other benefits and can prevent against behaviour & health conditions...
I was planning on getting her done but then I found out she was pregnant so couldn't do it, once she has this litter they are all being spayed and neutered 🥰
You would be surprised how many people actually don't know about the many great health benefits and of spay/neutering our kitties. So I usually try to provide people with the links so they can read into them