Will Senior Cat Hurt Baby Kitten?

loveyoubean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a few concerns that I’m hoping one of you highly-knowledgeable cat owners might be able to help me with.

My boyfriend and I had to unfortunately re-home our 7 week old baby kitten, Bean. As heart breaking as it was, we found someone who we think will take very good care of him.

The new owner has had 3 cats; two of which passed away, sadly. This is why she has been looking for two new kittens to keep her senior cat, Alice, company. Alice is 14 years old. The new owner thinks she’ll likely pass next year.

When we went to drop off Bean, Alice was not happy. The owner was doing her best to keep an eye on Alice to make sure she didn’t hurt little Bean.

I’m concerned because I don’t think they were introduced properly at all. Bean was kind of just plopped on the floor in front of Alice and she was hissing and growling at Bean. The whole time we were there, Bean was walking around and exploring his new home. What worried me is that Alice would be following him around, licking her lips. She would also be crouching under chairs or couches, somewhat wanting to pounce on Bean.

I’m sure that the new owner knows what she’s doing, but I’m still worried. Is there any possibility that Bean and Alice will get along? The new owner mentioned she’s getting a second kitten, roughly around Bean’s age as well, so will that be a good thing?

Thankfully, the new owner told my boyfriend and I that we’re more than welcome to come visit Bean and hang out with him whenever we want. We’re thinking of waiting at least a week before we call her to ask if we can come over. Just to see how Bean’s holding up!

I would appreciate any insight or advice that I could possibly pass along to the new owner.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since Alice has been around other cats it is very unlikely she will hurt Bean. She might smack him around a little to establish dominance and teach him some kitten manners, but it wouldn't be any worse then a Mom cat or sibling would do. Really, kittens learn through experience and the experience of getting bonked when they push things too far teaches them what too far is.

A slow introduction period is usually better. But honestly, when it comes to young kittens adults are fairly accepting after the initial hiss and adaption period.

When I got Rocket she was in a crate for the first few weeks due to being feral so we didn't really do much for introduction. We needed her in an active part of the house so the boys smelled and saw her. Link was practically pacing to start playing with her and interacting. He did the same following Rocket around waiting to play thing you describe. Nightfury though was not as excited. This photo was about 3 months after she joined up and was the first time he didn't hiss when she tried to get close,

This one was after a few more months when she had sneaked into his comfort zone. She was very persistent and very good about backing off when he hissed until they got to this point of cuddles and grooming.

Even now, after more than 2 years, she still pushes him too far sometimes. He will still smack her and hiss, and she will back off.

Link on the other hand, who was super excited and following Rocket around, kept his distance until she approached him. Once they had free reign to play they would (and still do) chase each other everywhere and play non-stop. Despite him being significantly bigger he always toned down his play and didn't hurt her. If she had enough she'd tell him and he'd back off. He still outweighs her by 5 pounds and in play will often sit on her so that all you can see if a tail and maybe a paw sticking out. But they are fine together and it has never been an issue.

Granted mine are younger then Alice, but it will be okay.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kieka Kieka is right. Poor Bean got a less-than-optimal introduction to Alice, and Alice is going to make sure he knows who is whom and what is what and just where he fits in the Grand Scheme of Things, but...this will probably be ok. It isn't what I would have wanted. However, Alice is an old lady, Bean is a little imp, and she will take him to school just as a mama cat would.