Will My Rescue Cat Ever Feel At Home?

katiewatie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I recently picked up a little guy, Oreo (4-6 years old), locally because his owners were looking to get rid of him. He was abused and definitely neglected, which I wasn't fully aware of until I got home. They declawed him on his front paws and still made him stay outside where there were feral cats.

As I'm told, he doesn't get along with boys and will fight them, but loves girl kitties. He's an absolute angel. Laid back as they come; but my old cat, Dolly, who is a gift from a dearly departed friend, is not very friendly with him. She hisses at him and growls some and it's been about a month since I've brought him home.

When I brought him home his fur was sticky from beer and such that was on the floor at his previous home which promptly earned a bath. I took him to the vet a few days ago and learned his teeth are fairly bad (the vet gave him an 8/10 for his quality of life), he has a heart murmur (which has prevented dental work until they receive blood test results), and had some feline acne on his chin (from eating out of a dirty plastic bowl) which was given antibiotics at the clinic.

He's very skittish, afraid of people, and has been hiding up under my bed for the past month now. He eats and goes potty, and I've gotten him to play with a toy when he's under there. Every night he'll come up and purr and be very affectionate. He doesn't like being out from under the bed during the day, and at night will usually stay on my bed. My other cat, Dolly, is a bit younger than him and hates to be in the same room as him so she's been avoiding him altogether. I try to give them treats when they're in the same vicinity, when they're playing (I'll swing a toy under the bed and back towards the door for Dolly) and do all I can to help them get along but I'm feeling very disheartened.

Is there anything I can do? I've got some calming cat collars which seemed to help a little bit but it wasn't noticeable by any means. I'm thinking about getting some pheromone outlets but I need to have cash on hand in case he's able to have dental surgery and if not it'll require an ultrasound ($500) and then further consultation from there.

I'm just brokenhearted for him. Am I doing the right thing? Should I seek out another place for him to go?

Here's a photo of the little guy. I just feel lost.

57317267_2411343398910871_8447095327038636032_n.jpg

Crazykat Lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give him some time.. He's co.ing around to you it will take a bit for Dolly to learn he's here to dtay.. They are establishing boundaries with their growls and hisses.just watch them when they are together so a fight don't start. Sit between them pat them both as much as you can... Talk to them both, give them both treats..it shows them you love them both, they will get use to each other slowly but it will happen... God bless you for taking them in and saving them both

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This will take time, and time, and time...and a lot of patience on your part. Remember what he has gone through. He first has to get adjusted to the new place, THEN he has to learn to trust again. He can, and he will, but NOT tomorrow or next week. The last thing he needs is to be totally uprooted again. No, this is home now...just give him time to trust that. It may take weeks, maybe even a few months, but it will come.