Will Mother Cat Reject Kitten?

alicia1904

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry this is a long one.

I found a mother cat meowing non-stop today and went to take a look and realised that she was hanging around the area because her kitten was hiding under some chairs.

The mother cat was trying to help the kitten return to their area which involves jumping over a huge gap on the second floor. But the kitten was too scared to jump over and some passer-bys eventually scared the kitten away, and the mother cat went back to the area.

Out of panic I cornered the kitten and caught it. I managed to slide the kitten through the gap into where the mother cat was earlier. I heard faint meowing from the mother but no signs of the her. Awhile later i found both the parents cat outside but they quickly ran into the area.

I’m worried if the mother cat would have rejected the kitten because I held it (caught it with a jacket and then scruffed to hold the kitten). Any advice? Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicia1904

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is around 4-5 weeks old

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn't sound like there is a risk of being rejected for smelling different. I've heard of Mom cats accepting their kittens still after being separated for days and nursed by a stranger during that time. If you can keep an eye out, if Mom doesn't get the kitten within a day you may need to step in and help the kitten at that point. But give Mom time to get the kitten first, 24 hours is usually the point of intervention because after that the kitten can die from lack of food.