Will Getting A Cat Fixed Cause Him To Stop Spraying In The House?

aligglitterglam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a young male siamese cat that hasn't been neutered yet but keeps spraying the house. He seems very territorial because we have three other cats. The house smells of urine and it's pretty awful causing a lot of damage to the walls and carpet. If we get him fixed will he stop the destruction or is it ingrained in his behavior and we might have to rehome him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aligglitterglam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is 2 years old and it has been going on for a while but there were some parts of the house recently discovered that we didn't realize he kept going back to and it got so bad.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would absolutely neuter him regardless in hopes that it stops him. However if he is going all over and the house smells you are going to have to do some MAJOR deep cleaning because neutered or not he as well as your other cats will likely keep spraying just to cover up the smell with their own. Why isn't he neutered already?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aligglitterglam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We were thinking of taking him to a lost cost clinic but heard some horror stories or reviews of what happened with their cat and the cat died after surgery, so we were debating. We can't really afford it at the regular clinic because it's usually $$$. But now it's gotten so bad I guess there really isn't a choice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I had used with my cats for sterilization were lost cost clinics. I'm pretty sure it was always the same chain I went to in Phoenix. It was just named Spay Neuter Clinic and they did vaccinations too as well as basic services. I could not afford the full she-bang at the vet's office. No one was ever advised to wear a cone afterwards, either, male or female.

I don't know if it would keep him from spraying, as once they learn how, it's really hard to curb. My boys are fixed and they started spraying as adults, years after their removal.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Spay Neuter Clinic is excellent. I have been to the Cleveland OH one. Got many many cats spayed and neutered there. I have always used low cost clinics with lots of luck but with any surgery, human or animal, there is always a risk to some extent.