Wiley Coyote!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the daytime? Wow! You don't often see coyotes, out and about, like that during broad daylight!

I've seen them at dusk or dawn, many times. The only time I saw a coyote during the day, I was walking a trail through the woods when I saw one come out of the high brush about fifty yards ahead of me. At the time, we had a dog that was part Shepherd and part something else and he had brown fur. I thought the dog had followed me up the trail!

I yelled, "Git! Go home!" The "dog" stopped and turned to look at me and I thought, "Oops! That's not a dog!"

The coyote stood and looked at me for about ten seconds then ducked back into the brush. I never saw it after that.
I just don't expect to see a coyote during the day unless you surprise them or unless something's afoot.

Yeah, it certainly looks like your coyote is hunting something in those bushes. I think you're right. It's probably after a gopher-or-something.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen coyotes many times in the early evening when walking our last dog. There is an open field near us where I would often take him for a walk but not after seeing a coyote there. Other neighbors reported seeing them in the early morning hours or evening as well.
Once when we got home DH opened the patio door and a coyote was in our yard. :eek: Fortunately he jumped the fence but it left us in shock for awhile.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had the catio in mind for my cats, but as well as my Papillons. I have a huge yard, and even with security lights, I couldn't see them when they'd venture out into the yard when it was dark and it lead to leashes for any potty trips outside after dark, which they hated.
One evening at dusk I saw a coyote standing at my fence, surveying my yard. I've seen rabbits in my yard, and I assume that's what the main attraction was. A coyote could easily get over a 6 foot chain link fence. It freaked me out. I called the contractor the next day and said "let's get on it."
I hear them in the woods a lot. Sometimes it sounds like they're too close for comfort. They are cool...but I don't want them near my dogs or cats for obvious reasons!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
They are cool...but I don't want them near my dogs or cats for obvious reasons!
Agreed! Our kitties are indoor or catio only. I called a couple of neighbors who I know have small dogs to let them know we have a coyote in the neighborhood. One of them lets her little dog out sometimes to do his business off leash in a small side yard with only a short, flimsy fence. That coyote could be over that in a second. 😬

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One evening at dusk I saw a coyote standing at my fence, surveying my yard.
Fire a pistol or something that makes a really loud noise whenever you see a coyote in a place where you don't want them. They'll learn, pretty quickly, that "Bang! Bang!" means to stay away.

You can holler and bang pots and pans together, as well, but, for some reason, the sound of gunfire really sends them packing.

You can use a Starter's Pistol if you don't have or if you don't want to have a real one.

Whenever coyotes or other wildlife get mixed up, too much, in human settlements it's usually the animals that lose. Scaring them off hopefully teaches them to be wary of humans and their houses so, even though shooting guns sounds cruel, it's really for their own good.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a coyote that comes right up to the house. Fat little bugger too!! We have a lot of smaller critters in the woods for him to snack on as well as whatever is left over from the neighbors feeding the deer and stray cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your coyote looks well fed! They are all over my area and I see them on a regular basis, many not in great condition. Most are skittish and will run from humans, but there are, very sadly, small pets killed by them. My across the street neighbor let her chihuahua out to relieve herself when she got home from work at 4 PM and that was all it took for the coyote to spot her and jump the fence and take her, so it is good to warn neighbors. Anyone using a flexi-leash on a dog is taking a big risk.