Why Ok For “pedigreed” But Not Ok For “non-pedigreed” Cats?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Really, I thought spaying and neutering was to save lives?
In a way it does save lives by preventing unwanted lives from coming into being in the first place. If the only place to get a kitten or a cat is from a shelter or from breeders who only breed when there is enough demand for kittens, then eventually shelters will no longer be as needed and all may be able to become no kill. Cats will no longer be put down by the millions because the only ones born will be ones bred when people want them.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Responsible breeders from what I recall didn't come up in the report at all, except as an acknowledgement that they make up 5% of the population vs almost 40% backyard breeder, which likely means that they don't really contribute to the problem here.
In the US, only 3% of cat owners report getting their cat "from a breeder." Note that the 3% figure refers to cats coming from any breeder, including backyard breeders and commercial breeders... so the number of cats coming from hobby breeders is just a small percentage of that! Most people do not get a cat from any type of breeder... 31% of owned cats came from a shelter or rescue, 28% from a friend or relative, 27% were found as a stray.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the US, only 3% of cat owners report getting their cat "from a breeder." Note that the 3% figure refers to cats coming from any breeder, including backyard breeders and commercial breeders... so the number of cats coming from hobby breeders is just a small percentage of that! Most people do not get a cat from any type of breeder... 31% of owned cats came from a shelter or rescue, 28% from a friend or relative, 27% were found as a stray.
It seems some of the figures are different here. I lumped some categories together in my post, but the exact percentages they list here are:

Giveaway/free 19%
Friends/Family 17%
Found as Stray 16%
Adopted from a Shelter 15%
Adopted from a rescue 12%
Pet Store 7%
Breeder 5%
Purchased through an ad 4%
My pet's offspring 3%
Vet clinic 1%
Other 2%

Our weather can be more extreme in the winter like in the northern US, so I am guessing that helps keep the feral/stray population down. They also claim in the report that 96% of all cats are fixed, so that seems very encouraging :) The definition of "breeder" is probably not rigorous

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO funded programs dedicated to spaying and neutering your pets are about solving a social problem related to overpopulation of domestic animals, not saving lives.
"Overpopulation" of animals is very easily solved by killing the excess animals. But people who like animals find this unacceptable. If the point were to solve societal problems caused by animal overpopulation, killing more animals would be the solution (as has been used heavily in the past, and is the point of old-fashioned animal control agencies). So if a community is using spay/neuter instead of killing, the only point is to save animals' lives, and to not anger people who like animals.

Tl;dr: the ONLY point of spay/neuter is to save animals' lives.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our weather can be more extreme in the winter like in the northern US, so I am guessing that helps keep the feral/stray population down. They also claim in the report that 96% of all cats are fixed, so that seems very encouraging :)
Yes, the feral/stray population is the biggest issue, I think. The majority of ferals aren't fixed, so TNR and "working cat" relocation programs are a very important part of solving the problem. The majority of owned cats in the US are already fixed; for those that aren't yet fixed, the most common reason cited by owners is cost, so easily accessible low-cost spay/neuter programs are really important, too.
New Scientific Study Finds Vast Majority of Pet Cats Are Neutered

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, the answer is that the "cat fancy" community (the organized group of responsible "hobby breeders" who breed and show pedigreed cats) has, overall, a significant POSITIVE effect on the welfare of all cats. This community is part of the solution, not part of the problem...The majority of breeders are also involved, to a greater or lesser extent, in general feline rescue, TNR, and a wide array of other feline welfare programs.... Responsible breeding is ultimately a community activity, not an individual activity.
I concur. This is how I view it.

Yes, the feral/stray population is the biggest issue, I think. The majority of ferals aren't fixed, so TNR and "working cat" relocation programs are a very important part of solving the problem. The majority of owned cats in the US are already fixed; for those that aren't yet fixed, the most common reason cited by owners is cost, so easily accessible low-cost spay/neuter programs are really important, too.
New Scientific Study Finds Vast Majority of Pet Cats Are Neutered
Yes yes! This is why so many of us here are doing TnR or working with rescues to foster. I love when Barn cats get adopted out. We don't have many here as we are too urban but still, sometimes a rescue will find someone a little out of the way to take in a few barn cats. It's harder to find but doable.