Why Is My Spayed Female Kitten Crazy

Allyskits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, all from the same litter and they are now 6 months old. at the start of this month I had the female one spayed (I can't afford to get all three spayed at the same time so I started with the female to avoid her getting pregnant, and I keep them indoors anyway. I will get the Two males neutered eventually). I chose to keep her at the vet for a few day, because I had a bad experience with their mom when she was spayed a couple weeks ago. and during that time the wo boys were playful but they weren't crazy or distracting.
before I had the girl spayed they would sometimes chase after each other but it wasn't unmanageable.
Since I have her back from the vet however it's been a different story, especially the past week has been driving me crazy. they will run around the house, jumping on anything and everything. knocking down everything in their path. They've knocked over chairs, bottles, and worst of all my tv, which is now broken.
I work from home and it has gotten to the point that I have to lock them in a separate room because I can't get anything done. in the room they have toys, food, water, litter, hiding places, and each other.

they used to just lay by my side while I was working and they'd play when I got up, during breakfast, lunchtime, and in the evening, but now it seems they never sleep. It also always seems to be the girl who starts it.

does anyone know if this is related to her being spayed or if it is just their age, and would have the boys neutered help?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is just their age. Kittens can be nuts, and kudos to you for having 3 I don't think I could do it. At least they have each other to wear themselves out.

Neutering the boys may calm them a little, as they are coming into maturity, plus it is best for their health. But most kittens go through that phase of psychotic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyskits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't my intention to keep all three, the mom belonged to a coworker of mine, who approached me when her cat was pregnant, asking if I would be interested in keeping a kitten. I had thought about getting a kitten for a long time but always put it off. But at that point the timing just seemed right, I had room for a cat, and a steady income and after some research decided I would keep two. which seemed perfect because the vet said she was having two kittens. due to circumstances the mother cat stayed with me for the end of her pregnancy and about 2-3 months until after they were born. so I was there for the birth which was at night. after the two were born and all seemed well I turned of the lights to get more sleep which is when the third one appeared... a little after surprise. we both figured we'd eventually find a home for it. except over time it became apparent something wasn't quiet right with the third and at that point I wasn't willing to give any of them away. When he was five months old he was finally diagnosed with megacolon. (but that's a whole other post)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh that's rough. Good thing you are taking such good care of them :) You are a kitty saint.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I have to agree it is just a matter of the boys age. At around 6 months, male cats need to be ready, if needed, to leave their family / colony to establish or take-over a territory for themselves. They are their peak of physical prowess, and showing off a bit. Also, since they are now sexually mature, they can react, strongly, to any neighborhood females in heat, or yowling males.