Why is my old cat so skinny?

2003Dizzycats.2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my cat Puffy. He is 18 this August so he’s pretty elderly. He eats and drinks a ton. In fact, after everyone has finished their tea, he goes around eating leftovers. The problem is, he’s skeletal. His spine feels like knuckles and he weighs 4lbs. When I pick him up he feels frail and like he could snap at any moment. My parents say he just “spends a lot of energy staying alive” and won’t take him to the vet. He seems to have a serious problem and also makes this distressed “mow” noise in the middle of the night and vomits every few days. He doesn’t seem lethargic at all though. I’ll put a picture when i can get a good one. I can wrap my hand around his waist and he definitely needs help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I took my cat in to the vet a few days ago, and she said that it can be a very serious thing when a cat begins to lose weight similar to what you're describing.
Have you tried feeding your boy more food?
Can you ask your parents if you can work to get paid in order to be able to get your cat to the vet?
Hang in there, and thank you for being such a caring person :heartshape:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where are you located at (generally speaking)? Is there anyway you can take him to the vet without your parents assistance? Maybe a friend or family member can help?

The dull coat and vomiting both mean either something is wrong internally or something is wrong with his food. Either way he isn't getting enough nutrition from his food but without a vet looking him over its hard to know if just changing his food will help or if he needs medical treatment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like he might have hyperthyroidism, which is treatable. It isn't a cure, but treating it can reverse some of his issues, and help him to feel better overall. Eating a ton and still losing weight are the classic signs, as is being overly active due to the over-production of thyroid hormones.

I know he is old, but he deserves to be looked at and treated as appropriate. Please read this and share with your parents.
Hyperthyroidism in Cats, Symptoms, Treatment & Causes - All About Cats

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any number of health issues can be the cause. Your cat really needs to be seen by a vet. Blood work needs to be done and possibly other diagnostic tests. Can a relative help you take the cat to the vet?

What do you feed the cat daily? Cat food? What brand and how much?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2003Dizzycats.2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my cat Puffy. He is 18 this August so he’s pretty elderly. He eats and drinks a ton. In fact, after everyone has finished their tea, he goes around eating leftovers. The problem is, he’s skeletal. His spine feels like knuckles and he weighs 4lbs. When I pick him up he feels frail and like he could snap at any moment. My parents say he just “spends a lot of energy staying alive” and won’t take him to the vet. He seems to have a serious problem and also makes this distressed “mow” noise in the middle of the night and vomits every few days. He doesn’t seem lethargic at all though. I’ll put a picture when i can get a good one. I can wrap my hand around his waist and he definitely needs help.
Forgot to mention, his coat switches between dull and extremely oily and greasy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

2003Dizzycats.2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 18 year old cat who is 4lbs and a 6 year old cat who’s 5lbs. I also have a 9lb ragdoll cat which is quite small. 18yo cat looks normal because of his long fur but in the shower he looks smaller than a kitten.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you get your parents to agree to have Puffy checked out by a vet and have blood tests done (including hyperthyroidism)?

Your cats do seem small, and that can be normal, but not when you say Puffy's spine feels like knuckles. I really don't think anyone on this site will have any better recommendation for you than to have Puffy looked at by a vet.

Maybe use this body condition chart (see below) to show your parents what is a healthy range for cats to be in, regarding their size/body shape?

In the meantime, can you answer any of the questions that were posted above? Maybe that would help give members some ideas
to offer you.
Body-Condition-Feline-Chart.jpg

2003Dizzycats.2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 18 year old cat who is 4lbs and a 6 year old cat who’s 5lbs. I also have a 9lb ragdoll cat which is quite small. 18yo cat looks normal because of his long fur but in the shower he looks smaller than a kitten.
Accidentally posted on wrong thread

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a metabolic issue like kidney disease, thyroid disease, or diabetes. I agree with taking the cat to the vet for testing, if possible, so you know what you are dealing with.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take him to the vet but you could also do this meanwhile.
1-Senior food (idk you already feed your cat with this food) or kitten food…these are made for getting your cat fatter
2-Add salmon oil,all oils can get your cat fatter and this one will also make your cats’ fur shine and somehow get healthy
3-Meal times,maybe 5 meals a day…but these meals have to contain not to much food,cats in the wild eat a little but very frequently
4-Check for tapeworms,parasites…